A new kind of home for the holidays

It’s a given: everyone wants to be home for the holidays. The media depict people racing and rushing through traffic to make it back home, while others wait for their significant others under the mistletoe. The season’s most popular schema is a loving family huddled together a living room by a fire and an oversized Christmas tree, menorah or other festive symbol to represent this special time.

However, as a college student, being at school for a large portion of this jolly time of year can feel a little different. Your family is not around to bake holiday cookies with you or to bring you hot chocolate. You can’t walk outside to be welcomed by a snowy, winter wonderland.

For many students, the holiday season was always celebrated at home with friends and family – that is, before college. Now that we spend a significant portion of this season at school – even more so because of Hurricane Irma – how does this affect one’s views on the “home for the holidays” tradition?

It’s strange becoming an adult and realizing that you’re going to have to achieve that sense of “home” in a whole new place. I have been dealing with this realization for a while, but it’s not necessarily a bad thing.

I went to boarding school throughout high school, so a large portion of the holiday season was spent away from home. When you live and develop relationships in a new community, it becomes your home as well. You come to foster a new sense of family and belonging.

My roommate and I have decorated our room to celebrate the holidays, and friends and I are planning on doing a Secret Santa gift swap. We are all here to support each other. If you do not feel that you have established a strong enough sense of home here yet, go reach out to those around you. Engage within your community, whether it be your floor in your dorm or the larger Miami community. Go to holiday-themed events to meet some new friendly faces. There are countless community-wide activities, such as gingerbread decorating events in the dorms, which can make your holiday experience at college a lot more welcoming and warm.

We are all growing up, and as this happens we make homes for ourselves, meet important people in our lives and find new senses of belonging. So whenever you are down about having a shortened time in your hometown for the holidays, remember that you have a home and a huge family, all in the same position as you, here at the U.

Alexandra Aiello is a freshman at the University of Miami.

Featured photo courtesy pixabay user jill111.

Alexandra Aiello

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

They are two big bodies with experience, but new to the University of Miami. And the Miami Hurricane ...

Freshman quarterback Jarren Williams, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing most of Tuesd ...

Corey Gaynor is working hard to solidify his spot as backup center to UM senior standout Tyler Gauth ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

Conquer common back to school challenges with an expert's guide for parents and children. ...

Unique camp supports children whose parents have cancer. ...

New study shows that discriminating against workers with tattoos puts hiring managers at a competiti ...

Bill Clinton convenes the second summit of his CGI Action Network on Post-Disaster Recovery at UM. ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...

The University of Miami soccer team will travel to Boca Raton, Fla., Friday night as the team kicks ...

The University of Miami's volleyball team returns to the Knight Sports Complex on Saturday at 3 ...

University of Miami head men's tennis coach Aljosa Piric revealed Friday the team's schedu ...