News Briefs 12/5

Canestage Theater Company Presents: Little Women

When: 7 p.m. Dec. 7 and 8, 2 p.m. Dec. 9 and 10

Where: Cosford Cinema

Canestage Theater Company will be screening the musical “Little Women” this weekend. Based on the life of Louisa May Alcott, a poet and novelist from the Civil War era, “Little Women” is a story of personal discovery and heartache about one of the most well-known female writers of the 19th century. Canestage is UM’s student-run theater company, which produces both musicals and plays throughout the year along with sponsoring events such as acting workshops and spoken word poetry competitions. The organization’s goal is to provide “positive theatrical experiences” for the entire UM community and is open to all UM students.

Visionaries: UM Fine Arts Gallery

When: 6–9 p.m. Dec. 8

Where: University of Miami Art Gallery at Wynwood, 2750 N.W. Third Avenue, Suite 4

In honor of Art Basel Miami Beach, the UM Department of Fine Arts will display work by students earning a master’s in fine arts at UM on Dec. 8. The gallery will include sculpture, photography and other forms of visual art. Located in Miami’s historic arts district of Wynwood, UM’s art gallery will be featuring the work of Patricia Cooke, Christine Di Staola, Karli Evans, Alex Hodge, Izia Lindsay and Jeannette Stargala, all students in the graduate program of fine arts. Their artwork, along with the work of other UM graduate students, will be on display through Jan. 19, 2018.

Zach Grissom

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team impressed in its quad-meet Friday af ...

Junior averaged 11.4 points and 6.7 rebounds per game last season. ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

A duo of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes advanced through to the Round of 16 ...

Senior Dew Weber of the University of Miami golf team continued to march towards her professional go ...