Cover, Football, Sports

Hurricanes No. 1 receiver Ahmmon Richards out for year after injuring knee

Miami sophomore wide receiver Ahmmon Richards is out for the season after suffering an injury to the meniscus in his left knee during Wednesday’s practice, the university announced.

Richards was reportedly carted off the field after sustaining the injury.

This comes as the last of a multitude of injuries the 6-foot-1 receiver has dealt with throughout the season, including issues with his ankle and hamstring that kept him out three games.

Richards, who was clearly not 100 percent healthy for the majority of 2017, had recorded 439 receiving yards and three touchdowns in eight games of action. In 2016, he reeled in 934 receiving yards, breaking Michael Irvin’s freshman record and earning Freshman All-American and All-ACC Second Team honors.

The Wellington, Florida, native will undergo surgery this week at the UHealth Sports Medicine Institute at The Lennar Foundation Medical Center.

Isaiah Kim-Martinez

Isaiah Kim-Martinez can be reached on Twitter at @isaiah_km.

University of Miami athletic director Blake James has no intention of pressuring or forcing coach Ma ...

He’s certainly not a veteran, but for the first time in his college football career, redshirt freshm ...

This November feels a lot more like March for the 24th-ranked University of Miami women’s basketball ...

For a month at a time, Louis Hedley would find himself in the deserts of Australia. His chances at m ...

It has been a trying season for college football fans of two Sunshine State programs: Florida State ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

An international study led by University of Miami tropical biologists reveals that tropical trees ar ...

UM’s robotics team recently obtained a new robot with the goal of helping aging individuals. ...

New student organization’s mission is a movement to return to the ‘roots’ of natural hair. ...

N'Kosi Perry wants to build off his showing at Georgia Tech with another strong performance thi ...

University of Miami head volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara is excited to announce the s ...

Isaiah Wong and Anthony Walker will join Canes for 2019-20 season. ...

Three University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes – Adria Soriano Barrera, Bojan Jankulov ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team checks in at seventh in the country in ...