Cover, Edge, Food, Thanksgiving

Use dessert to flaunt school spirit with ‘apple turnover chain’ recipe

D2716919-C398-45DD-B05A-AC6D9948D0C6.jpeg

The turnover chain is a sensation. The Canes are performing better than they have in years and are headed for the ACC Championship. We’re on break for Thanksgiving, but you can keep the school spirit alive and make sure all your relatives know it’s all about the U by baking this “apple turnover chain” for the holiday. Whether it’s a substitute for traditional apple pie or a post-Thanksgiving game-day treat for your UM vs. Pittsburgh watch party, this proud pastry is sure to impress.

Ingredients:

• 1 sheet puff pastry, thawed
  • Flour (as needed, about 1 Tbsp.)
  • 1 granny smith apple
  • 1 egg
  • 2 tsp. cinnamon
  • 2 Tbsp. turbinado sugar

8DCFCE3D-E269-4564-94DF-3468993F410E.jpeg

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Roll out puff pastry with a rolling pin (or can of soup if you’re a broke college student) on a large baking sheet. Roll into a large square about 1/8 of an inch thick. Use flour as needed to make sure the rolling pin doesn’t stick to the pastry.

5BE39ABC-9C6F-4873-AD8A-4502B911F2A7.jpeg

Cut a circle out of the middle of the square, using a mixing bowl to trace the circle. Keep and set aside the outer part of the square.

52C7259A-6843-404D-AA9D-71EA776E3BCB.jpeg

Cut a smaller circle out of the middle with a smaller bowl to create a ring shape. Keep and set aside the inner part of the circle.

15FF90DB-BFDB-48EB-8630-B32E5CE903ED.jpeg

Cut the apple into thin slices.

C2D41AAD-CB74-414B-8F69-D8F506EFDFF8.jpeg

Beat egg. Brush beaten egg onto the ring. Arrange apple slices in a single layer around the ring. Sprinkle cinnamon and 1 tbsp Turbinado sugar on top of the apple slices.

E227A143-4B76-4DF2-8ADA-28FFA839BD70.jpeg

Cut two strips out of the remaining puff pastry from outside the circle. Twist each strip for a chain effect and arrange on top of the apples so each strip covers half of the ring. Brush the tops of the twists with a beaten egg. Join the ends of the twists together by pressing gently.

4F276EB5-E2BB-4E7E-9C92-AFF84ECC070C.jpeg

Cut a U shape out of the remaining puff pastry from the inner circle. Place the U on top of twists. Brush U with egg. Sprinkle remaining 1 Tbsp. of Turbinado sugar on top of the pastry.

D2FFEB7C-6438-4A4E-B20C-5C24A8DA6B83.jpeg

Bake for for 20 minutes or until golden brown.

1CFB45CC-E387-4A33-8286-1ECED6784D2E.jpeg

Slice and serve with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream. Only serve MVPs the slice with the U.

FE25CB96-0E54-4D69-AB40-46F4715FF920.jpeg

Annie Cappetta

Annie Cappetta can be reached on Twitter at @acmcappetta and via email at acmcappetta@gmail.com

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...