Opinion, Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving offers chance to recognize small, meaningful moments

With Thanksgiving just around the corner, we’ve got turkey on the brain, family penciled into our schedules and appreciation pumping through our hearts. We’re primed to take the holiday to reflect on the year and count our blessings. Everyone focuses on friends, family and health, but we should take note to appreciate something we often dismiss: the unexpected, fleeting moments of bliss we are gifted with every so often.

This past summer, I interned at a theater in Los Angeles. I figured being in California would be a good opportunity to study improv at well-known studio The Groundlings, so I signed up for a summer class. On the first day, I met Noa, an acting student at California State University at Fullerton, and we became instant friends. Throughout the summer, we did every touristy thing imaginable, from the Griffith Observatory to the Hollywood Walk of Fame. We even drove an hour south to a city called Dana Point, just because it shared my name.

We spoke several times about how much we loved San Francisco and wished we could go, but the drive was just too far – six hours at least. On my last day, we were driving up north to visit Malibu. I had 24 hours before my flight and it suddenly occurred to us that, if we left right away, we could at least have a little time to visit San Francisco. So, with the clothes on our backs and no place to stay, we continued north to San Francisco. And this impromptu road trip was, hands down, the highlight of my summer.

Every moment was unplanned, and every decision was a visceral response to what was right in front of us. As we started driving through the Redwood Forest, we decided to take a detour and visit Monterey Bay. When we were on our way back to LA, we passed the Golden Gate Bridge and decided to drive over it — even though it was in the wrong direction. These glimmers of spontaneity can be some of the best moments of our lives. They make us realize that the world has so much more in store for us than what we can anticipate.

So when the stuffing is coming your way around the table and your relatives are bubbling with passive aggression over opposing political views, I encourage you to give thanks for the year’s blissful moments that you never saw coming. Think about that time you happened across kittens on the green, saw the first traces of Christmas on the Starbucks menu or made a new friend at the gym. And, hopefully, start to muse about the exciting experiences ahead.

Dana Munro is a sophomore majoring in musical theater.

Featured photo courtesy pixabay user dh_creative.

Dana Munro

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

Mark Walton, the former University of Miami star football player and current Cincinnati Bengal, was ...

Don Chaney Jr. says his recruitment is over and the way he talks about the Miami Hurricanes, it’s ea ...

Miami Law’s Frances Hill answers key questions about the National Emergencies Act. ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Hours after garnering espnW National Player of the Week distinction, Emese Hof of the Miami women ...

For the second straight Monday, a member of the Miami women's basketball team has earned a nati ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team moved up two spots on Monday's leaderboard at t ...