Best of Miami, Cover, Culture

Best of UMiami 2017: The Global City

COVER_square.jpg

Pitbull sings about “international love,” and when it comes to the mixing of global cultures, there’s no place quite like Miami. On a campus where students can grab arepas, pastelitos, and poke bowls between classes, where one might hear snatches of Spanish, Arabic, French and Chinese on the sidewalks, it’s hard to forget the unique cultural fabric of the city of Miami. Located at the southeastern tip of the United States, Miami serves as a gateway to South and Central America. At the same time, its attractions draw in students and residents from all over the world. The Miami Hurricane’s 2017 edition of Best of UMiami, “The Global City,” is your student passport to not only some of the most exciting parts of this multicultural city, but also the most memorable parts of this unique campus.

Check out our special issue on our stands now, and navigate our features with our Best of UMiami special webpage here.

The gallery celebrated Hispanic Heritage Month with a virtual event that paired works of art from it

Felicia Knaul, an international health economist and expert in health systems and social sectors, is

Stephen A. Schwarzman, co-founder of the investment firm Blackstone, shared insights on the economy

Rosenstiel School researcher Katharine Mach, who studies the response and adaptation to changing cli

As the battle to contain wildfires continues, so does the debate as to how much climate change is ex