News Briefs: Week of 11/14

Civic Talk

When: Thursday, Nov. 16 at 7 p.m.

Where: University of Miami Rathskeller

Cost: Free

Though it’s been one year since the presidential election, Get Out The Vote is still active on campus trying to get all students civically involved. This Thursday, the organization will host Civic Talk, a roundtable discussion to encourage activism. The discussion will aim to encourage and inform students about civic involvement at national and local levels. Director of Undergraduate Studies for the Political Science Department Casey Klofstad will moderate the discussion and speak about his own research. Food vouchers for the Rat will be given out at the event.

Miami Book Fair

When: Nov. 14-19

Where: Various locations across Miami-Dade College and Downtown Miami

Cost: Most events free, others ticketed

Literature enthusiasts rejoice, the Miami Book Fair is back. This year, the weeklong event will bring some of the nation’s top authors to Miami. Some of the fair’s special guests include former Vice President Joe Biden, Sen. Al Franken, American news commentator Van Jones and poet Danez Smith. Attendees will have access to moderated discussions as well as opportunities for autographs and photos with the authors at the event. A full schedule can be found at miamibookfair.com.

Home for the Holidays Workshop

When: Thursday, Nov. 16 from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m.

Where: University of Miami Counseling Center

Cost: Free

As students begin going home for the Thanksgiving holiday this week, UM’s COPE will host a Home for the Holidays workshop to help students deal with the stresses that come with being home again. The workshop will focus on techniques to use when stress begins to creep up at family gatherings.

Amanda Herrera

Amanda Herrera can be reached via email at aherrera@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @_AmandaHerrera.

Romello Height already had a top five publicly revealed when the Miami Hurricanes finally stepped in ...

Mark Pope knows his freshman year with the Miami Hurricanes didn’t play out the way it was supposed ...

Fredrick Eaford was quick to make it clear the Miami Hurricanes were his dream team to commit to. Af ...

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

Some scientists fear that the new fifth generation of wireless networks interferes with critical sat ...

A new study led by Miller School professor Dr. Claes Wahlestedt observes that key molecular programs ...

Evo Morales, first elected president of Bolivia in 2005, and could win an unprecedented fourth term ...

The University of Miami Black Alumni Society is hosting a number of Juneteenth events around the cou ...

The University of Miami Rosenstiel School’s Rescue a Reef program teams up with the NFL and others t ...

Jackie Lippincott, Autumn Kramer and Meredith Costello were among the 61 student-athletes named to t ...

Renate Grimstad and Kristyna Frydlova of the University of Miami women's golf team were selecte ...

The Miami women's basketball team will face Indiana at the Watsco Center in the 2019 Big Ten/AC ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...