News Briefs: Week of 11/14

Civic Talk

When: Thursday, Nov. 16 at 7 p.m.

Where: University of Miami Rathskeller

Cost: Free

Though it’s been one year since the presidential election, Get Out The Vote is still active on campus trying to get all students civically involved. This Thursday, the organization will host Civic Talk, a roundtable discussion to encourage activism. The discussion will aim to encourage and inform students about civic involvement at national and local levels. Director of Undergraduate Studies for the Political Science Department Casey Klofstad will moderate the discussion and speak about his own research. Food vouchers for the Rat will be given out at the event.

Miami Book Fair

When: Nov. 14-19

Where: Various locations across Miami-Dade College and Downtown Miami

Cost: Most events free, others ticketed

Literature enthusiasts rejoice, the Miami Book Fair is back. This year, the weeklong event will bring some of the nation’s top authors to Miami. Some of the fair’s special guests include former Vice President Joe Biden, Sen. Al Franken, American news commentator Van Jones and poet Danez Smith. Attendees will have access to moderated discussions as well as opportunities for autographs and photos with the authors at the event. A full schedule can be found at miamibookfair.com.

Home for the Holidays Workshop

When: Thursday, Nov. 16 from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m.

Where: University of Miami Counseling Center

Cost: Free

As students begin going home for the Thanksgiving holiday this week, UM’s COPE will host a Home for the Holidays workshop to help students deal with the stresses that come with being home again. The workshop will focus on techniques to use when stress begins to creep up at family gatherings.

Amanda Herrera

Amanda Herrera can be reached via email at aherrera@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @_AmandaHerrera.

At their best, they are UM’s most dynamic players on each side of the ball. But the Ahmmon Richards ...

A day after practicing in the Carol Soffer Football Indoor Practice Facility for the first time in s ...

It appears that at least one LSU receiver won’t be available at the University of Miami football ope ...

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...