News Briefs: Week of 11/14

Civic Talk

When: Thursday, Nov. 16 at 7 p.m.

Where: University of Miami Rathskeller

Cost: Free

Though it’s been one year since the presidential election, Get Out The Vote is still active on campus trying to get all students civically involved. This Thursday, the organization will host Civic Talk, a roundtable discussion to encourage activism. The discussion will aim to encourage and inform students about civic involvement at national and local levels. Director of Undergraduate Studies for the Political Science Department Casey Klofstad will moderate the discussion and speak about his own research. Food vouchers for the Rat will be given out at the event.

Miami Book Fair

When: Nov. 14-19

Where: Various locations across Miami-Dade College and Downtown Miami

Cost: Most events free, others ticketed

Literature enthusiasts rejoice, the Miami Book Fair is back. This year, the weeklong event will bring some of the nation’s top authors to Miami. Some of the fair’s special guests include former Vice President Joe Biden, Sen. Al Franken, American news commentator Van Jones and poet Danez Smith. Attendees will have access to moderated discussions as well as opportunities for autographs and photos with the authors at the event. A full schedule can be found at miamibookfair.com.

Home for the Holidays Workshop

When: Thursday, Nov. 16 from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m.

Where: University of Miami Counseling Center

Cost: Free

As students begin going home for the Thanksgiving holiday this week, UM’s COPE will host a Home for the Holidays workshop to help students deal with the stresses that come with being home again. The workshop will focus on techniques to use when stress begins to creep up at family gatherings.

Amanda Herrera

Amanda Herrera can be reached via email at aherrera@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @_AmandaHerrera.

View photos from the Syracuse at Miam ibasketball game on Saturday, Feb. 17, 2018, in Coral Gables. ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga took the opportunity after Saturday’s 62-55 loss ...

A bunch of Miami Hurricane youngsters — and one former Gator-turned-Cane — made the University of Mi ...

Arkansas State University followed through with its threat. ASU on Friday afternoon filed a lawsuit ...

A UM appeals committee has modified the athletic department’s rules restricting departing quarterbac ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

A panel of University of Miami faculty talked about the impacts of climate change during a meeting o ...

Miami women's basketball notched an impressive 77-62 triumph Sunday at Virginia, giving head co ...

In singles play, the Hurricanes demonstrated strength at the top with both of their ranked players – ...

Hurricanes and Fighting Irish play at 7 p.m. Monday. ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team opened competition Sunday at the 2018 A ...

CORAL GABLES, Fla. – No. 24 Miami raced out to an early lead but could not finish off a weekend swee ...