Edge, Movies

Kanopy streaming service adds more than 30,000 free films to library database

Looking for new content to stream during that weeklong Thanksgiving break that is coming up? Try Kanopy, an online streaming platform just added to the University of Miami Libraries databases that gives students, professors and library visitors access to thousands of films from around the world. And unlike Netflix or Hulu, Kanopy is free for anyone with a university login.

UM joins Harvard, University of Texas, Penn State University, UC San Diego and the University of Washington, which also use Kanopy.

“There are many websites where you can watch films,” said UM professor, award-winning photojournalist and documentary filmmaker Jim Virga, who worked on getting Kanopy added to the university library. “However, Kanopy has collections of the greatest films of all times in really a good quality. I really appreciate the library getting it; it’s a fantastic resource for any film lover.”

Kanopy allows students to access movies from over 800 producers, including The Criterion Collection, Flicker Alley, Shout Factory, The Great Courses, California Newsreel, BBC and PBS, as well as films from thousands of independent filmmakers.

Junior film student Kristion Matas said this new service is more than just a platform for binge-watching – Kanopy is great for film education.

“I think it is really amazing that UM has this new program,” Matas said. “At the heart of every art you always have to look back at the history and what came before you.”

The extensive library includes classic films, from silent-era shorts to groundbreaking international features, and all can be streamed on a computer, through a Roku device, iOS and Android phone apps and soon, on Apple TV.

“I feel this is going to give the students a great opportunity to look at what has been done and make better projects in the future,” Matas said.

Films can be shown in classes, clubs and film nights at the residential colleges, too.

“I would see it as a new alternative to the other streaming services we always watch,” said David Heller, a freshman student majoring in finance. “I’m glad that the university is giving us a new opportunity to explore and find new interests.”

Kanopy’s motto is “thoughtful entertainment” – seeking to provide library patrons with access to films of unique social and cultural value. Many of these films are difficult or impossible to access elsewhere.

Kanopy is available at kanopystreaming.com and is also on UM Libraries’ list of databases, which can be found at library.miami.edu.

Anael Gavizon

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

Six new Hurricanes football players arrived on campus and began classes Monday, a group including a ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

Imagine simulating diabetes, lung cancer, or heart disease on a device no larger than a credit card. ...

Alabama’s new abortion law puts the issue of women’s rights in the spotlight for the upcoming 2020 e ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Four Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference Monday for their ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team started her NCAA Singles Cha ...

The Barcelona, Spain, native caps his sophomore campaign with a team-high 21 singles wins. ...

The University of Miami track and field program garnered 20 entries in the 2019 NCAA East Preliminar ...

Miami's schedule features seven matches against teams that reached the NCAA Championship. ...