Edge, Movies

Kanopy streaming service adds more than 30,000 free films to library database

Looking for new content to stream during that weeklong Thanksgiving break that is coming up? Try Kanopy, an online streaming platform just added to the University of Miami Libraries databases that gives students, professors and library visitors access to thousands of films from around the world. And unlike Netflix or Hulu, Kanopy is free for anyone with a university login.

UM joins Harvard, University of Texas, Penn State University, UC San Diego and the University of Washington, which also use Kanopy.

“There are many websites where you can watch films,” said UM professor, award-winning photojournalist and documentary filmmaker Jim Virga, who worked on getting Kanopy added to the university library. “However, Kanopy has collections of the greatest films of all times in really a good quality. I really appreciate the library getting it; it’s a fantastic resource for any film lover.”

Kanopy allows students to access movies from over 800 producers, including The Criterion Collection, Flicker Alley, Shout Factory, The Great Courses, California Newsreel, BBC and PBS, as well as films from thousands of independent filmmakers.

Junior film student Kristion Matas said this new service is more than just a platform for binge-watching – Kanopy is great for film education.

“I think it is really amazing that UM has this new program,” Matas said. “At the heart of every art you always have to look back at the history and what came before you.”

The extensive library includes classic films, from silent-era shorts to groundbreaking international features, and all can be streamed on a computer, through a Roku device, iOS and Android phone apps and soon, on Apple TV.

“I feel this is going to give the students a great opportunity to look at what has been done and make better projects in the future,” Matas said.

Films can be shown in classes, clubs and film nights at the residential colleges, too.

“I would see it as a new alternative to the other streaming services we always watch,” said David Heller, a freshman student majoring in finance. “I’m glad that the university is giving us a new opportunity to explore and find new interests.”

Kanopy’s motto is “thoughtful entertainment” – seeking to provide library patrons with access to films of unique social and cultural value. Many of these films are difficult or impossible to access elsewhere.

Kanopy is available at kanopystreaming.com and is also on UM Libraries’ list of databases, which can be found at library.miami.edu.

Anael Gavizon

Shaquille Quarterman waited less than 24 hours after Michael Pinckney announced he was returning for ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Two highly skilled receivers who ended last season frust ...

Whenever quarterback Tate Martell hurls a football to University of Miami slot receiver Mike Harley, ...

Manny Diaz is the dealer. The pusher. He is good at this. Really good. And what he is selling, we ar ...

Finally, Tate Martell knows what 2019 will hold and it’s good news for the Miami Hurricanes. After m ...

The theme of the 48th Annual Women’s Commission Breakfast keynote address, delivered by Dean Laura K ...

Sophomore Aloki Patel, a double major in Biology and Criminology in the pre-med track, spent spring ...

Returning to campus, former UM President Donna E. Shalala discussed the “irrational decision” that a ...

More than 40 University of Miami students spent last week in a half dozen U.S. communities learning ...

Students from UM, FIU, and FAU will have their graduate dissertations and projects reviewed by peers ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's basketball team opens NCAA Tournament play on its home court fo ...

The University of Miami football program announced Tuesday that the National Collegiate Athletic Ass ...

Miami's Hurricane Club announced the launch of The New Miami Fund Wednesday. ...

The No. 25 Miami women's tennis team will visit the Tar Heel State to play a pair of top-15 opp ...

Bastias took the time to reflect on his chemistry with fellow classmate Franco Aubone, his transitio ...