Disability studies minor would bring UM closer to its goal of inclusivity

One of the smartest, most influential people I ever met was a 16-year-old boy I tutored in English in high school. He suffered from several learning disabilities, causing him to struggle to connect thoughts as he read and to understand multisyllabic vocabulary words. However, his level of insight and understanding of texts was astounding, and he was capable of making astute observations that I had never thought of.

The more I worked with people with disabilities, the more they enriched my life. They exhibited incredible capacities for kindness, authenticity, ingenuity and innovation.

This inspired me to join the Best Buddies organization at UM. Best Buddies is a national organization with chapters at numerous universities which matches college students with adults with disabilities and hosts activities to facilitate the relationship. The executive board of Best Buddies is working to get a new minor in disability studies approved at UM.

Cianna Rivera, the president of Best Buddies, got the idea when she attended a conference on disabilities at Indiana University.

“The beauty of the minor is it is interdisciplinary,” Rivera said. “English professors would teach literature written by people with disabilities, philosophy teachers would discuss what it means to have a disability and law professors would teach disability in law. One of the bedrocks of the program is teaching students to view disabilities as a social construct, not purely a medical construct.”

In learning about disabilities through the lens of several disciplines, students will garner a deeper understanding of what makes the disabled community different from other communities. Rivera and I agreed that we don’t see enough interactions on campus between people with disabilities and those without. UM seems to subconsciously segregate the communities, and only view people with disabilities as a functioning part of campus when it comes to service clubs such as Best Buddies or service events such as FunDay.

However, if the minor were integrated into the curriculum, it could encourage more dialogue and expose UM students to the unique lifestyles and unfulfilled needs of an underserved population. This in turn may help improve the accommodations for and perception of people in the disabled community.

But the future of the minor is in the hands of the students. If you believe this minor would serve the school, email a paragraph explaining why and send it to bestbuddies.canes@gmail.com with your name and year in school. In simply doing this, you can take a step toward making UM the inclusive community it has the potential to be.

Dana Munro is a sophomore majoring in musical theater.

Dana Munro

Shaquille Quarterman waited less than 24 hours after Michael Pinckney announced he was returning for ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Two highly skilled receivers who ended last season frust ...

Whenever quarterback Tate Martell hurls a football to University of Miami slot receiver Mike Harley, ...

Manny Diaz is the dealer. The pusher. He is good at this. Really good. And what he is selling, we ar ...

Finally, Tate Martell knows what 2019 will hold and it’s good news for the Miami Hurricanes. After m ...

The theme of the 48th Annual Women’s Commission Breakfast keynote address, delivered by Dean Laura K ...

Sophomore Aloki Patel, a double major in Biology and Criminology in the pre-med track, spent spring ...

Returning to campus, former UM President Donna E. Shalala discussed the “irrational decision” that a ...

More than 40 University of Miami students spent last week in a half dozen U.S. communities learning ...

Students from UM, FIU, and FAU will have their graduate dissertations and projects reviewed by peers ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's basketball team opens NCAA Tournament play on its home court fo ...

The University of Miami football program announced Tuesday that the National Collegiate Athletic Ass ...

Miami's Hurricane Club announced the launch of The New Miami Fund Wednesday. ...

The No. 25 Miami women's tennis team will visit the Tar Heel State to play a pair of top-15 opp ...

Bastias took the time to reflect on his chemistry with fellow classmate Franco Aubone, his transitio ...