News Briefs

Venezuela: State of the Crisis

When: 7 p.m Mon., Nov. 13

Where: Grand Ballroom East of Shalala Student Center

The University of Miami’s Venezuelan Student Association, UM’s Department of Latin American Studies and UM’s Institute for the Advanced Study of the Americas are hosting a panel discussion about the crisis in Venezuela.

Panel members will include Hugo Faria from UM’s School of Business Administration, Hermes Florez from the Miller School of Medicine, Patricia Mazzei from the Miami Herald, Virpi Salojärvi from the University of Helsinki and Alejandro Velasco from New York University’s Gallatin School for Individualized Study.

Venezuela faces both an economic crisis that has led to a lack of basic goods and a political crisis as President Nicolas Madura tries to consolidate power despite widespread protest. The Miami-Dade area contains one of the United States’ largest Venezuelan populations, and the Venezuelan population is on the rise as many choose to flee their home country.

The Perfect Storm: Understanding the Crisis in Puerto Rico

When: 11:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. Mon., Nov. 13

Where: Cuban Heritage Collection Conference Room, Second Floor of Richter Library

UM’s Institute for Advanced Study of the Americas and UM’s Employee Alliance are hosting a lecture on the aftermath of hurricanes Irma and Maria in Puerto Rico. Will Pestle, a professor in the department of Anthropology and Latin American Studies, and Yolanda Martínez-San Miguel, a professor in the Department of Modern Languages and Literatures, will host the discussion. Florida has seen an influx of 67,000 Puerto Ricans, Governor Rick Scott said. The majority of the island is still without power and basic supplies more than a month after Hurricane Maria hit.

Defend DACA: Two Months Without a Dream

When: 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Thurs., Nov. 9

Where: UC Canopy

A protest of President Trump’s decision to end Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) protections will be hosted by the College Democrats. The club will share student narratives from Dreamers at UM and is asking for immigrants to submit their stories to democrats@miami.edu.

College Democrats will accept narratives from any angle, as long as the story deals with immigration (what it is like being a first-generation American, whether or not you have felt anti-immigration sentiment, etc.). The goal of the event is to inform the UM community about issues regarding immigration and will include a discussion of travel bans, sanctuary cities and immigration reform.

Zach Grissom

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Canes find themselves in the mix for a couple o ...

It was May 2015, and the Miami Herald was reporting for a feature on high school football players ab ...

Deidrick Stanley had his eye on the Miami Hurricanes long before his hometown school finally offered ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

Even five months ago, it would’ve been hard to picture Jaylan Knighton winding up with the Miami Hur ...

A former UM professor started a company dedicated to publishing books on African-American culture, h ...

A group of School of Architecture students visited the Caribbean nation to learn about the historic ...

Faculty with the Miller School of Medicine and Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science w ...

Patricia “Trish” White, dean of the School of Law, is stepping down at the end of the academic year. ...

At the annual Hug the Lake, sustainability manager Teddy Lhoutellier was honored for improving the e ...

Michael Amditis tied a career-high with three hits and a homer to help the #24 Canes sweep FIU. ...

Miami earns sixth seed in Cle Elum Regional, hosted by the University of Washington. ...

The Hurricanes will open an eight-game homestand with a midweek matchup against crosstown FIU on Wed ...

Talking Track is a series that features current members of the Miami track and field program, while ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame announced that Trajan Bandy is the 26th recipient of the ...