News Briefs

Venezuela: State of the Crisis

When: 7 p.m Mon., Nov. 13

Where: Grand Ballroom East of Shalala Student Center

The University of Miami’s Venezuelan Student Association, UM’s Department of Latin American Studies and UM’s Institute for the Advanced Study of the Americas are hosting a panel discussion about the crisis in Venezuela.

Panel members will include Hugo Faria from UM’s School of Business Administration, Hermes Florez from the Miller School of Medicine, Patricia Mazzei from the Miami Herald, Virpi Salojärvi from the University of Helsinki and Alejandro Velasco from New York University’s Gallatin School for Individualized Study.

Venezuela faces both an economic crisis that has led to a lack of basic goods and a political crisis as President Nicolas Madura tries to consolidate power despite widespread protest. The Miami-Dade area contains one of the United States’ largest Venezuelan populations, and the Venezuelan population is on the rise as many choose to flee their home country.

The Perfect Storm: Understanding the Crisis in Puerto Rico

When: 11:30 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. Mon., Nov. 13

Where: Cuban Heritage Collection Conference Room, Second Floor of Richter Library

UM’s Institute for Advanced Study of the Americas and UM’s Employee Alliance are hosting a lecture on the aftermath of hurricanes Irma and Maria in Puerto Rico. Will Pestle, a professor in the department of Anthropology and Latin American Studies, and Yolanda Martínez-San Miguel, a professor in the Department of Modern Languages and Literatures, will host the discussion. Florida has seen an influx of 67,000 Puerto Ricans, Governor Rick Scott said. The majority of the island is still without power and basic supplies more than a month after Hurricane Maria hit.

Defend DACA: Two Months Without a Dream

When: 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Thurs., Nov. 9

Where: UC Canopy

A protest of President Trump’s decision to end Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) protections will be hosted by the College Democrats. The club will share student narratives from Dreamers at UM and is asking for immigrants to submit their stories to democrats@miami.edu.

College Democrats will accept narratives from any angle, as long as the story deals with immigration (what it is like being a first-generation American, whether or not you have felt anti-immigration sentiment, etc.). The goal of the event is to inform the UM community about issues regarding immigration and will include a discussion of travel bans, sanctuary cities and immigration reform.

Zach Grissom

University of Miami tailback/fullback Trayone Gray, a popular fifth-year senior out of Miami Carol C ...

When Mother’s Day came around back in May, Keontra Smith knew it was time to unveil his college comm ...

University of Miami true freshman quarterback Jarren Williams was not at practice on Tuesday morning ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday: ▪ The Hurricanes, who began the offseason with five highly sk ...

There’s no doubt who the starting quarterback is at the University of Miami. As for those other thre ...

Conquer common back to school challenges with an expert's guide for parents and children. ...

Unique camp supports children whose parents have cancer. ...

New study shows that discriminating against workers with tattoos puts hiring managers at a competiti ...

Bill Clinton convenes the second summit of his CGI Action Network on Post-Disaster Recovery at UM. ...

A UM researcher has determined that children exposed to traumatic events exhibit pains that if left ...

Head coach Mark Richt, all 10 assistant coaches and more than 50 players met with the media at the N ...

The Miami Hurricanes were under the lights at Hard Rock Stadium Saturday, closing out the opening we ...

The University of Miami volleyball program reported for training on Tuesday, officially beginning pr ...

Several members of Miami's highly-rated recruiting class have entered fall camp hungry to prove ...

Two University of Miami Track and Field athletes represented their respective countries at the Europ ...