Opinion, Staff Editorial

Hurricane adviser inducted into Iron Arrow

Tsitsi Wakhisi, the faculty adviser for The Miami Hurricane, was tapped into Iron Arrow last week, the highest honor a University of Miami community member can receive.

As a staff, we thought it would be fitting to set aside part of our newspaper to congratulate her on this achievement and thank her for the tireless work she does for us.

Wakhisi is a life-changing professor. She is the kind of professor who has such an impact on her students that one of those students is bound to grow up to make an Oscar-winning film about her.

She is so sweet and nurturing. She cares for her students in a deep, maternal way. She cares about the subject matter she teaches and she believes in the importance of training young journalists.

She takes us all very seriously, not just as students but real journalists. She holds us to the same standards as professional publications and truly believes that we can accomplish great things.

She is selfless. She goes above and beyond her role as a professor, constantly finding ways to help students. If you have a goal and you ask for her help, she will go out of her way to make connections and open doors for you.

We could write pages and pages about how special Wakhisi is to our staff, but we know that’s not how she would want us to use the space in this week’s paper, even though she deserves every word of it to be dedicated to her.

University of Miami tailback/fullback Trayone Gray, a popular fifth-year senior out of Miami Carol C ...

When Mother’s Day came around back in May, Keontra Smith knew it was time to unveil his college comm ...

University of Miami true freshman quarterback Jarren Williams was not at practice on Tuesday morning ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday: ▪ The Hurricanes, who began the offseason with five highly sk ...

There’s no doubt who the starting quarterback is at the University of Miami. As for those other thre ...

Conquer common back to school challenges with an expert's guide for parents and children. ...

Unique camp supports children whose parents have cancer. ...

New study shows that discriminating against workers with tattoos puts hiring managers at a competiti ...

Bill Clinton convenes the second summit of his CGI Action Network on Post-Disaster Recovery at UM. ...

A UM researcher has determined that children exposed to traumatic events exhibit pains that if left ...

Head coach Mark Richt, all 10 assistant coaches and more than 50 players met with the media at the N ...

The Miami Hurricanes were under the lights at Hard Rock Stadium Saturday, closing out the opening we ...

The University of Miami volleyball program reported for training on Tuesday, officially beginning pr ...

Several members of Miami's highly-rated recruiting class have entered fall camp hungry to prove ...

Two University of Miami Track and Field athletes represented their respective countries at the Europ ...