Opinion, Staff Editorial

Hurricane adviser inducted into Iron Arrow

Tsitsi Wakhisi, the faculty adviser for The Miami Hurricane, was tapped into Iron Arrow last week, the highest honor a University of Miami community member can receive.

As a staff, we thought it would be fitting to set aside part of our newspaper to congratulate her on this achievement and thank her for the tireless work she does for us.

Wakhisi is a life-changing professor. She is the kind of professor who has such an impact on her students that one of those students is bound to grow up to make an Oscar-winning film about her.

She is so sweet and nurturing. She cares for her students in a deep, maternal way. She cares about the subject matter she teaches and she believes in the importance of training young journalists.

She takes us all very seriously, not just as students but real journalists. She holds us to the same standards as professional publications and truly believes that we can accomplish great things.

She is selfless. She goes above and beyond her role as a professor, constantly finding ways to help students. If you have a goal and you ask for her help, she will go out of her way to make connections and open doors for you.

We could write pages and pages about how special Wakhisi is to our staff, but we know that’s not how she would want us to use the space in this week’s paper, even though she deserves every word of it to be dedicated to her.

University of Miami athletic director Blake James has no intention of pressuring or forcing coach Ma ...

He’s certainly not a veteran, but for the first time in his college football career, redshirt freshm ...

This November feels a lot more like March for the 24th-ranked University of Miami women’s basketball ...

For a month at a time, Louis Hedley would find himself in the deserts of Australia. His chances at m ...

It has been a trying season for college football fans of two Sunshine State programs: Florida State ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

An international study led by University of Miami tropical biologists reveals that tropical trees ar ...

UM’s robotics team recently obtained a new robot with the goal of helping aging individuals. ...

New student organization’s mission is a movement to return to the ‘roots’ of natural hair. ...

A University of Miami professor discusses the dynamics of this trend. ...

N'Kosi Perry wants to build off his showing at Georgia Tech with another strong performance thi ...

University of Miami head volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara is excited to announce the s ...

Isaiah Wong and Anthony Walker will join Canes for 2019-20 season. ...

Three University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes – Adria Soriano Barrera, Bojan Jankulov ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team checks in at seventh in the country in ...