Basketball, Sports

DJ Vasiljevic scores 30 to lead Miami past Newberry College 106-79 in exhibition matchup

Last week, University of Miami coach Jim Larrañaga revealed that sophomore guard Dejan “DJ” Vasiljevic had scored 159 points in a three-minute shooting drill.

Vasiljevic showed that the drill was no fluke in Miami’s exhibition matchup against Newberry College, tallying a game-high 30 points to lead the Hurricanes to a 106-79 win over the Wolves Wednesday night at the Watsco Center.

The sharpshooter scored 19 of his points in the game’s first four-and-a-half minutes, shooting a perfect 7-7 from the field while hitting five three-pointers. UM sophomore guard Bruce Brown added 19 points, eight assists and put his explosive athletic ability on display with two rim-rattling dunks.

“It was the game we needed,” Vasiljevic said. “I was just happy to see them go through the net.”

UM scored the game’s first 15 points and never looked back from there, stretching the lead to as many as 32 points in the second half.

Despite the blowout, Miami gave up 30 turnovers – one of its biggest areas of concern on the night. Newberry College’s full-court press forced UM into a handful of ill-advised passes.

“It’s a new team with a lot of new players, such as myself,” said freshman Lonnie Walker, who scored eight points in 15 minutes. “We just gotta understand that we can’t really rush the ball. We need to know our strengths and play our strengths wisely.”

Walker, a five-star recruit, showed glimpses of why many view him as a likely first-round pick in the 2018 NBA Draft. But he also showed rust with his three-point shot at the same time. Walker was out three months after undergoing surgery on a torn meniscus in his right knee in July.

The Canes are ranked No. 13 in the AP Top 25 preseason poll that came out Wednesday afternoon – the highest AP preseason ranking in program history.

Miami will open the regular season at home against Gardner-Webb University at 8 p.m. Nov. 10 at the Watsco Center.

Isaiah Kim-Martinez

Isaiah Kim-Martinez can be reached on Twitter at @isaiah_km.

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team impressed in its quad-meet Friday af ...

Junior averaged 11.4 points and 6.7 rebounds per game last season. ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

A duo of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes advanced through to the Round of 16 ...

Senior Dew Weber of the University of Miami golf team continued to march towards her professional go ...