Campus Life, News

News briefs: week of 10/31

International Games Week

When: 11:00 a.m. to 4 p.m. Nov. 4

Where: Shalala Student Center, third floor

The UM Game Committee is hosting its second International Games Week celebration. The event will feature local and student game developers, and will include video, tabletop and card games provided by the University of Miami libraries’ game collection. The UM Game Committee includes members of the University of Miami libraries, the Cinema and Interactive Media Department of the School of Communication and the UM video games club.

UN Report on women in the Americas

When: noon to 1:30 p.m. Oct. 31

Where: Pick Hall, 1541 Brescia Ave.

The UM Institute for Advanced Study of the Americas is hosting a lecture by Fernando Filgueira on a recent UN report regarding the progress of women in Latin America and the Caribbean. Established in 2015, the institute promotes human, economic and social development throughout the Americas through research and teaching. Filgueira is a co-author of the report and former deputy minister of education of Uruguay.

Truffles Cooking Class

When: 9-10:30 p.m. Nov. 3

Where: Wellness Center Kitchen

UCook is hosting a truffles cooking class that is free and open to all UM students. UCook meets every month and sponsors various cooking classes with local chefs throughout the year. UCook’s goal is to give members the cooking skills necessary to maintain a healthy lifestyle after college, and the organization focuses on hosting cooking classes and other appreciative events.

Zach Grissom

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes fell in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...