Campus Life, News

News briefs: week of 10/31

International Games Week

When: 11:00 a.m. to 4 p.m. Nov. 4

Where: Shalala Student Center, third floor

The UM Game Committee is hosting its second International Games Week celebration. The event will feature local and student game developers, and will include video, tabletop and card games provided by the University of Miami libraries’ game collection. The UM Game Committee includes members of the University of Miami libraries, the Cinema and Interactive Media Department of the School of Communication and the UM video games club.

UN Report on women in the Americas

When: noon to 1:30 p.m. Oct. 31

Where: Pick Hall, 1541 Brescia Ave.

The UM Institute for Advanced Study of the Americas is hosting a lecture by Fernando Filgueira on a recent UN report regarding the progress of women in Latin America and the Caribbean. Established in 2015, the institute promotes human, economic and social development throughout the Americas through research and teaching. Filgueira is a co-author of the report and former deputy minister of education of Uruguay.

Truffles Cooking Class

When: 9-10:30 p.m. Nov. 3

Where: Wellness Center Kitchen

UCook is hosting a truffles cooking class that is free and open to all UM students. UCook meets every month and sponsors various cooking classes with local chefs throughout the year. UCook’s goal is to give members the cooking skills necessary to maintain a healthy lifestyle after college, and the organization focuses on hosting cooking classes and other appreciative events.

Zach Grissom

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...