Campus Life, Community, Football, News

Student lots lose tailgating privileges, citing serious incidents before Syracuse game

On Wednesday, Dean of Students and Associate Vice President for Student Affairs Ryan Holmes met with Greek organization leaders to announce major changes in tailgating procedures at Hard Rock Stadium for the rest of the season. A newsletter sent from Vice President of Student Affairs Patricia Whitely later on Wednesday detail the changes, which include student organizations losing their reserved privileges in lots 9 and 10.

“We have observed continuing unsafe behavior around alcohol, and we are not going to put up with it,” said Whitely in a phone call with The Miami Hurricane.

The Dean of Students Office warned the organizations in question, but the unsafe behavior was still observed, said Whitely. Students who attended the Syracuse game suggested that the number of minors in possession of alcohol may have contributed to the decision.

“We’re not in the business of telling students you can’t have fun, or that you can’t tailgate. That’s not what we’re doing,” said Dean Ryan Holmes. “What we are saying is that we’re not going to outline a specific space for you to condone those behaviors that we’ve seen for the past few weeks.”

The official UM tailgate will be held at the UM Fan Zone sponsored by Student Government. All buses transporting UM students will be directed to that area. Student organizations that tailgate on Hard Rock Stadium property and “an environment conducive to unsafe behaviors” may be delivered a cease operation order, according to the newsletter.

Whitely emphasized that this decision is not a suspension or ban on student tailgating, but that the lots typically reserved for student organizations will not be available.

The Miami Hurricane is reaching out to administrators for more information about the Syracuse incidents and the new tailgate changes.

This article will be updated as information becomes available. Isabella Cueto contributed to this report.

Jackie Yang

The United States Postal Service features Emilio Sanchez, the first Cuban American visual artist to be recognized in a new series of Forever stamps. ...

With the first elevated concrete floor deck poured last week, the Frost Institute of Chemistry and Molecular Science is on pace to open in the summer of 2022. ...

In a new study that scrutinized the speech patterns of Freddie Mercury, Michael Phelps, and other celebrities, University of Miami researchers offer insights on how diet ultimately reshapes language. ...

The multidisciplinary forum in April will explore lessons learned from the regions. There is a call for papers to be presented, but abstracts must be submitted by Jan. 17. ...

Former executive vice president John L. Green Jr., who helped launch the University’s football dynasty with two key coaching hires, passed away this month. ...