Campus Life, Community, Football, News

Student lots lose tailgating privileges, citing serious incidents before Syracuse game

On Wednesday, Dean of Students and Associate Vice President for Student Affairs Ryan Holmes met with Greek organization leaders to announce major changes in tailgating procedures at Hard Rock Stadium for the rest of the season. A newsletter sent from Vice President of Student Affairs Patricia Whitely later on Wednesday detail the changes, which include student organizations losing their reserved privileges in lots 9 and 10.

“We have observed continuing unsafe behavior around alcohol, and we are not going to put up with it,” said Whitely in a phone call with The Miami Hurricane.

The Dean of Students Office warned the organizations in question, but the unsafe behavior was still observed, said Whitely. Students who attended the Syracuse game suggested that the number of minors in possession of alcohol may have contributed to the decision.

“We’re not in the business of telling students you can’t have fun, or that you can’t tailgate. That’s not what we’re doing,” said Dean Ryan Holmes. “What we are saying is that we’re not going to outline a specific space for you to condone those behaviors that we’ve seen for the past few weeks.”

The official UM tailgate will be held at the UM Fan Zone sponsored by Student Government. All buses transporting UM students will be directed to that area. Student organizations that tailgate on Hard Rock Stadium property and “an environment conducive to unsafe behaviors” may be delivered a cease operation order, according to the newsletter.

Whitely emphasized that this decision is not a suspension or ban on student tailgating, but that the lots typically reserved for student organizations will not be available.

The Miami Hurricane is reaching out to administrators for more information about the Syracuse incidents and the new tailgate changes.

This article will be updated as information becomes available. Isabella Cueto contributed to this report.

Jackie Yang

Freshman quarterback Jarren Williams, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing most of Tuesd ...

Corey Gaynor is working hard to solidify his spot as backup center to UM senior standout Tyler Gauth ...

Former University of Miami football and NFL star player Jonathan Vilma made a splash in South Florid ...

University of Miami tailback/fullback Trayone Gray, a popular fifth-year senior out of Miami Carol C ...

When Mother’s Day came around back in May, Keontra Smith knew it was time to unveil his college comm ...

Conquer common back to school challenges with an expert's guide for parents and children. ...

Unique camp supports children whose parents have cancer. ...

New study shows that discriminating against workers with tattoos puts hiring managers at a competiti ...

Bill Clinton convenes the second summit of his CGI Action Network on Post-Disaster Recovery at UM. ...

A UM researcher has determined that children exposed to traumatic events exhibit pains that if left ...

The Canes defense is full of big names like Shaq Quarterman and Jaquan Johnson, but these players ha ...

Quick Hits gives University of Miami volleyball fans an inside scoop on the latest additions to the ...

Head coach Mark Richt, all 10 assistant coaches and more than 50 players met with the media at the N ...

The Miami Hurricanes were under the lights at Hard Rock Stadium Saturday, closing out the opening we ...

The University of Miami volleyball program reported for training on Tuesday, officially beginning pr ...