Campus Life, Community, Football, News

Student lots lose tailgating privileges, citing serious incidents before Syracuse game

On Wednesday, Dean of Students and Associate Vice President for Student Affairs Ryan Holmes met with Greek organization leaders to announce major changes in tailgating procedures at Hard Rock Stadium for the rest of the season. A newsletter sent from Vice President of Student Affairs Patricia Whitely later on Wednesday detail the changes, which include student organizations losing their reserved privileges in lots 9 and 10.

“We have observed continuing unsafe behavior around alcohol, and we are not going to put up with it,” said Whitely in a phone call with The Miami Hurricane.

The Dean of Students Office warned the organizations in question, but the unsafe behavior was still observed, said Whitely. Students who attended the Syracuse game suggested that the number of minors in possession of alcohol may have contributed to the decision.

“We’re not in the business of telling students you can’t have fun, or that you can’t tailgate. That’s not what we’re doing,” said Dean Ryan Holmes. “What we are saying is that we’re not going to outline a specific space for you to condone those behaviors that we’ve seen for the past few weeks.”

The official UM tailgate will be held at the UM Fan Zone sponsored by Student Government. All buses transporting UM students will be directed to that area. Student organizations that tailgate on Hard Rock Stadium property and “an environment conducive to unsafe behaviors” may be delivered a cease operation order, according to the newsletter.

Whitely emphasized that this decision is not a suspension or ban on student tailgating, but that the lots typically reserved for student organizations will not be available.

The Miami Hurricane is reaching out to administrators for more information about the Syracuse incidents and the new tailgate changes.

This article will be updated as information becomes available. Isabella Cueto contributed to this report.

Jackie Yang

Two Commencement ceremonies will take place at the Watsco Center on the Coral Gables campus on Thurs ...

The investiture of the School of Law Dean Anthony E. Varona as the M. Minnette Massey Chair took pla ...

The University of Miami Frost School of Music's annual holiday event raises funds for the Donna ...

University of Miami Miller School of Medicine students hung 3,000 posters in Wynwood last weekend to ...

Life on Great Abaco Island in the Bahamas is striving to get back to normal, but the scars of Hurric ...

RSS Error: A feed could not be found at http://www.hurricanesports.com/rss.aspx. A feed with an invalid mime type may fall victim to this error, or SimplePie was unable to auto-discover it.. Use force_feed() if you are certain this URL is a real feed.