Community, Edge, Food

Blue Bottle brews for a purpose

Sustainability. Hospitality. Deliciousness. These are the three pillars of Blue Bottle, a coffee shop that just opened its doors to the Miami community in the Design District. Blue Bottle, which has locations in California, New York and Tokyo, prides itself on its great service, exquisite coffee and friendly environment.

However, it’s not your average coffee house. Blue Bottle is giving back to those in need.

The Blue Bottle Foundation began as a way to champion and fundraise for various causes, connecting each coffee shop with a local charity.

“We really want to stand up for what we believe in,” said Rose Bridges, community manager for Blue Bottle.

The new Blue Bottle Miami has partnered with local charity Lotus House, a women’s shelter providing support for women and children in need. It provides services to rescue and rehabilitate women from difficult and abusive situations.

The baristas of Blue Bottle participate in a community activism day at Lotus House at which they volunteer for eight hours, while still getting paid as if they worked as a barista for the day.

“We choose a new charity for each location we open,” Bridges said. “Before the opening of the store, we host a community day. There is free coffee for the entire neighborhood, and any proceeds of that day are donated back to the charity.”

Bridges also said that Blue Bottle plans to train and hire women who come out of Lotus House who need a job.

“We want to welcome everyone and keep our doors open and as friendly as possible,” she said.

Blue Bottle offers no free Wi-Fi, as a way to encourage face-to-face interaction and real conversation between guests.

“We really hope for a break from technology in order to fully enjoy the coffee,” Bridges said.

In addition to paying close attention to the flavors and roasting of the coffee, Blue Bottle is also focusing on decreasing its imprint on the planet.

“All the cups are decomposable,” Bridges said. “We also try to source everything responsibly, as we champion sustainability.”

Alexandra Rothman

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

As bleak as it seems now for the University of Miami, the Canes can still take a repeat trip to Char ...

A half dozen takeaways from UM’s demoralizing 16-13 loss at Virginia on Saturday: ▪ As was the case ...

So, who’s the quarterback now? The No. 16 Miami Hurricanes came to Charlottesville on Saturday with ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...

The Canes have won five straight games and are 2-0 in the ACC, but they know they have a tough road ...