Art, Edge

Wine and painting offers new way to wind down

A blood red moon rises over a haunted house, surrounded by ghosts and a graveyard.

This is not an opening to a horror movie but the scene that was painted by guests of The Lowe art museum’s “Sip and Sketch” night.

Every month, the Beaux Arts program, a volunteer organization focused on promoting the arts in Miami, hosts a Sip and Sketch event at the Lowe where artist, army veteran and UM art lecturer Jacqueline Gopie teaches a dozen students, faculty and community members – over the age of 21 – how to paint a spooky Halloween scene for $45.

“It’s not serious at all,” Gopie said. “It’s just a great night to paint and explore your artistic ability.”

Gopie, a realist artist, is known for her paintings of children of color. Born in Jamaica and a University of Miami graduate herself, Gopie is an adjunct professor at UM who teaches the Sip and Sketch classes for fun.

This event was created as a way for friends to come together and experience another side of a benefit of the Lowe

Beaux Arts, founded in 1963, is a group specifically created to support The Lowe Art museum. The volunteers and associate members of Beaux work together to create different events, such as The Festival of Art at the University of Miami, in order to promote different local artists. Beaux recently donated money to renovate the children’s pavilion at the Lowe, where the Sip and Sketch events are held.

“It is a great place to come relax and unwind because painting is just different than other artnforms,” said Annette Diaz, who works for Beaux Arts. “You release all your stress in this comfortable but professional atmosphere.”

Kebrina Maharaj, who works as a career services and internship manager at University of Miami’s School of Communication, said it was her first time attending a Sip and Sketch. She found the event through Facebook and was excited to attend.

“I want to do this more,” Maharaj said. “I had no idea it existed. Plus, it was a good introduction to the museum as well.”

She attended the event with her coworker, School of Communication academic adviser Bethany Angiolillo, who was excited that an event like this could be held on campus.

The Lowe Art Museum hosts Sip and Sketch the third Wednesday of each month during the academic year.

To find the next class, check out The Lowe website at http://www6.miami.edu/lowe/calendar.html

Alexandra Rothman

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Coach Manny Diaz said the quarterback race among Ta ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...