Football, Sports

Man behind the Turnover Chain serves as jeweler for more than 900 professional athletes

AJ Machado

AJ Machado is the owner of AJ’s Jewelry in Cutler Bay, Florida. He made Miami’s newest trend, the Turnover Chain, by special request from the UM athletic department. Photo credit: Isaiah Kim-Martinez

The Miami Hurricanes are 6-0 and have become a talking point nationally as the only undefeated team left in the Atlantic Coast Conference. But a new fad this season has garnered just as much attention as the team itself, sending fans and media into a craze.

It’s called the Turnover Chain.

This unique piece of gold jewelry made its first appearance in Miami’s season opener against Bethune-Cookman Sept. 2, and since then has gone viral, being featured on ESPN and Fox Sports. It’s used as a motivational tactic to pump up the team and fans when the Hurricanes make a big play on defense.

Michael Jackson

UM junior cornerback Michael Jackson yells in excitement after pulling in the first of two interceptions against the Syracuse Orange. Photo credit: Josh White

The Canes started the trend this season. First, a defensive player forces a turnover, such as a fumble or an interception. Then, as he comes off the field, one member of the coaching staff excitedly awards him the chain. The player gets to flaunt it on the sideline for the following possession.

The players love it – it sends the team into an all-out celebration.

Dee Delaney

Senior cornerback Dee Delaney shows off the Turnover Chain after an interception against FSU. Photo credit: Josh White

The fans love it too – the Turnover Chain has received so much nationwide attention that Adidas made T-shirts featuring the chain.

However, despite the chain’s popularity, many still have questions about its origin.

AJ Machado, owner of AJ’s Jewelry in Cutler Bay, Florida, is the man behind the phenomenon. UM’s athletic department reached out to him over the summer with the special request of creating the chain.

“They called us and said, ‘We want to get something like when Alabama uses the wrestling belt after a big play,'” Machado said. “We want to get that swag back – we are Miami.”

The day Machado got the call to design the Turnover Chain, Vince Wilfork, a former Hurricanes and NFL football star, stopped by the shop and influenced its design.

“Vince said, ‘AJ we have to go with the Cuban link,'” Machado said of the chain style. “That is what Miami is all about. I don’t care if you are in LA or any part of the world, it’s called the Miami-Cuban.”

And that’s when the chain was born, made of solid gold with a gem-encrusted “U” at the bottom. It weighs 2.5 kilograms and took more than two weeks to make. Machado said he could not disclose the chain’s cost.

Machado, now known as the “King of Bling,” is no stranger to big-name projects – he is the go-to jeweler for more than 900 professional athletes. Many of the most popular players on TV can be seen on Machado’s “Bling of Honor,” the walls of his jewelry shop featuring dozens of pictures of him and the players who have purchased from the store. These star athletes include LeBron James,Floyd Mayweather Jr., Odell Beckham Jr. and Larry Fitzgerald.

Machado’s jewelry business began in 1993 when he was 22. It took off from the start but didn’t have any athlete customers for the first four years.

That changed when former NFL running back Troy Davis, who grew up in the Miami area and played for the New Orleans Saints, came in and made a purchase. From there, talk of Machado’s business spread quickly through word-of-mouth between pro players.

The University of Miami has played a huge part in Machado’s success.

“It started a lot with the U – the U has been a blessing for us,” Machado said.

Many former UM football players, such as Clinton Portis and Andre Johnson, are repeat customers and have spread the news about AJ’s Jewelry both in college and in the NFL.

“In the locker rooms, I think they talk,” Machado said. “‘This is the jeweler – he is going to hook you up with good services and good quality. It’s really about reputation.”

And what a reputation he has built.

Machado said a key part of his business process with those in the sports world is building a relationship with each athlete. This is what separates him from other jewelers.

“I don’t just want to sell you a chain or a watch or a ring,” Machado said. “I like to have lunch – a little more building up that edge. I think that is what’s making us grow.”

He values relationships with his customers and will do whatever it takes to provide the best service possible. Machado gave an example of how he even flew an employee out to hand deliver a piece of jewelry for a wedding.

“In 24 hours, I’ve done wedding rings and bands,” he said. “I’ve flown over there. I’ve sent my son or one of my employees, and I flew him to Alabama or North Carolina. Whatever it is, we’ve gone the extra mile.”

Machado’s business has expanded throughout the NFL – with a total of about 800 clients – and nearly all the players know his name.

Despite making jewelry for so many athletes on so many teams, Machado’s heart is still with UM.

“Obviously, I have clients on every team and every university, but everyone knows I’m a UM fan – a die-hard UM fan,” Machado said.

When it comes to the Canes, Machado is always cheering on his team and hoping the chain is broken out.

I’m such a big fan that I take it personally,” he said. “When they put that thing on, we are looking for a turnover.”

The electric atmosphere at Hard Rock Stadium on Saturdays proves that the Turnover Chain has not only brought extra passion to the players but to the fans as well.

“People are excited again about the U, which I feel we lost a few years back,” Machado said.

Maxwell Trink

Carter Krouse

This account was generated by Camayak on 2017-08-28, please refer to http://support.camayak.com/connect-your-camayak-account-to-your-existing-wordpress-account/ if you wish to delete it.

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...