Art, Edge

Mural artist gone viral leaves free art around campus to thank Miami

Artist Beau Bradbury graffitied a mural of an old-school Sebastian the Ibis on the side of the Geneva Hotel entitled “You Don’t Scare Us Irma” in preparation for the powerful hurricane and quickly gained popularity because of it.

Now, Bradbury is ready to take his art and passion for the community to the next level.

In the past weeks, he has been hanging up free paintings around the University of Miami campus, all including his now-iconic take on Sebastian. The art was free, he said, for anyone to take down and keep as a reminder of Miami’s strength.

this is an image

One of Bradbury's paintings nailed to a tree on the UM Coral Gables campus, between Merrick and Stanford. Photo credit: Photo Courtesy of Beau Bradbury

this is an image

Up close picture of one of Bradbury's paintings he has posted around the Coral Gables UM campus. Photo credit: Alexandra Rothman

Bradbury has a habit of giving away art for free. He said he used to draw on mattresses and leave messages on paintings in the subway after being arrested in New York City for graffiti.

“I wanted to give a gift to somebody who would appreciate it,” he said.

His shoutout to the University of Miami resulted in an artistic collaboration between Bradbury and UM: he said he is working with the university to put on a large benefit in February during Greek Week to help those affected by recent natural disasters.

Bradbury said he will donate some of his art and he is looking for other Miami artists to be part of the event, not only to help those devastated, but to support the art community in Miami.

“We want to draw a crowd as large as we possibly can,” he said. “We want to have shirts, food trucks, and we want to sell art that students are able to afford and have for the rest of their life.”

Follow Beau on twitter: @_______beau

Alexandra Rothman

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...