Weinstein sexual harassment scandal signals need for people to speak out

Numerous celebrities, actresses and former Weinstein company employees have come forward to describe the sexual misconduct of Hollywood producer Harvey Weinstein.

And yet, the jarring and disgusting allegations have been kept under wraps for decades. How much power must a big-time Hollywood producer have in order to successfully silence dozens of women and hide his abuse?

Weinstein’s control over the situation was rooted in that he knew it was extremely unlikely that victims would go public with such accusations, out of fear of embarrassment or tainting their reputation. Fox News reporter Lauren Sivan, one of Weinstein’s alleged victims, said she did not say anything at the time because she was “fearful of the power that Weinstein wielded in the media.”

When people did speak up about the abuse, Weinstein reportedly bought silence from victims and lawyers to save face. In 2015, Weinstein’s attorney “donated” $10,000 to Manhattan district attorney Cyrus Vance Jr. to decline a sexual assault charge filed against Weinstein, according to reports in the New York Times and the International Business Times.

Weinstein also held considerable power in politics, raising millions for national Democratic party companies. He was also close with the Clintons.

Weinstein reaped the spoils that came with such influence and bullied journalists out of writing stories that exposed him, as he did in 2004 when a former New York Times reporter Sharon Waxman wanted to cover the sexual harassment allegations. Journalists were afraid of backlash, and so they conserved the truth.

Sadly, many women never have the confidence or support to speak out against powerful men. They are fearful of the social and professional repercussions of coming forward. And when they do come forward, they are often not believed.

Though Weinstein has lost his job and credibility, the truth took way too long to come to the public. The information may have surfaced sooner if lawyers had not taken Weinstein’s bribes or if reporters had the courage to stand up and publish articles that exposed him and his predatory ways.

Most importantly, if those who sat silently on the sidelines – those who knew of Weinstein’s actions but did nothing – had come forward sooner, dozens of women could have been saved from the unwanted advances, harassment and emotional turmoil in their personal lives and careers.

It is time for silent observers to muster the courage to speak out against sexual predators to stop the cycle of abuse against women.

Alexandra Aiello is a freshman at the University of Miami.

Featured photo courtesy of Flickr user David Shankbone.

Alexandra Aiello

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Coach Manny Diaz said the quarterback race among Ta ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...