Edge, Theater

“Pippin” closes a spectacular run despite hurricane delays

DSC08888.jpg

Senior Brandon Holzer performs as the titular character of "Pippin." The production closed on Oct. 14 at the Jerry Herman Ring Theatre. Photo credit: Hunter Crenian

After a difficult and stormy start to the fall semester, the Jerry Herman Ring Theatre ended the run of its first show of the season, the musical “Pippin” by Stephen Schwartz and Roger Hirson, to a great success.

“Pippin” played from Oct. 5 to Oct. 14 at the Jerry Herman Ring Theatre. As the hard work of the “Pippin” performers drew to a close, it was bittersweet for the actors to say goodbye to a show that they’ve put so much time and effort into.

“Leading Player,” musical theater major Jordan Kiser, said he felt it was his responsibility to deliver an energetic act, as the soulful, singing little devil on Pippin’s shoulder throughout the show.

“It’s a little bit of a relief and a little bit sad,” Kiser said. “You have to go out there and give every single audience the best performance you can. You figure out what you’re really made of in those types of shows.”

Even after two weeks off campus because of Hurricane Irma, one week to make up for it and show opening on Oct. 5, the cast’s work was never over. The show continued to evolve and grow with each performance.

this is an image

The cast of Pippin at the Jerry Herman Ring Theatre.

Rehearsals started immediately upon returning to campus, with cast making up for lost time in any way that they could. With only a week to perfect the show, the pressure was on and they made a tremendous effort putting in extra hours with a steady conviction.

Branden Holzer, who played the titular character, said polishing up the show in a shorter amount of time lead to “different line reads” and “blocking moments” that carefully built upon each other to improve the performance overall.

“I think throughout the past week of performances, we’ve found a lot of new things, adding little nuances into the performance,” Holzer said.

“Pippin” was a strong choice for the first show of the season. The heavy, metaphor-laden musical about the difficulties of growing older, battling inner demons and finding one’s purpose piqued the interest of theater-goers.

With fun music, circus sideshow-like acrobatics and a heavily used scaffold set piece, this was an exciting and entertaining show.

“It’s really exciting that it was the first show, start things off with a bang,” Holzer said.

Getting the show to its spectacular caliber took significant time and effort, especially in light of a particularly nasty hurricane season. Evacuations before Hurricane Irma made rehearsals impossible.

“It was really stressful because we were all in different places,” Holzer said.

The cast and crew’s dedication paid off. They delivered a seamless performance with a compelling energy that truly invited audiences into the world they crafted.

this is an image

Brandon Holzer stars as Pippin in the Ring Theatre's first production for the Fall semester.

“Getting back in the groove of things … It was stressful, but everyone came together and worked really hard,” Holzer said. “We were focused and pulled it off.”

The small, intimate Ring Theatre makes audiences feel like part of the whole experience.

“They do an incredible job with the small theater space and the limited props,” sophomore in political science and international relations Neemi Patel said.

Patel, who was in the audience on closing night, is a friend of one of the Ring workers and has been to several shows. She said she saw something special in the last performance of “Pippin,” a tribute to their hard work.

The culmination of “Pippin” marks the start of a great season to come. Next on the roster is “Romeo and Juliet,” which Kiser said will not be a typical Shakespearean performance.

The performance will include gender bending aspects and modern influences, as well as Shakespearean sword fighting.

“Romeo and Juliet” will play Nov. 9 through 18 at the Ring Theatre. Buy tickets online or by calling the box office at 305-284-3355.

Laura Quesada

While the University of Miami has just three Class of 2019 oral commitments on offense, the Canes ha ...

Gerald Willis’ monster season has earned another piece of national recognition. On Monday, the Miami ...

It hasn’t been a great few weeks on the recruiting trail for the Miami Hurricanes with regards to of ...

A six-pack of Heat notes, leading up to Heat-Lakers on Monday night: ▪ In the days before one of his ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Friday: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt hasn’t yet given any indication to the ...

Most UM Debate Team members devote 10 to 15 hours of preparation for each tournament. ...

National Geographic connects with the University of Miami to empower the next generation of storytel ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

Several UM art students are getting real-world exposure during a highly anticipated – and attended – ...

Over the past several years, more and more students are using UM Libraries as a study place, a meeti ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...

University of Miami redshirt senior defensive tackle Gerald Willis III was recognized for his outsta ...