Community, Edge

House of Horror Carnival offers creepy shows and houses

Put on 3D glasses and watch your step as moving floors and gruesome characters throw off your balance inside the newest house in House of Horror Haunted Carnival.

this is an image

Haunted characters like this creepy clown, roam around the haunted park all October long. Photo courtesy House of Horror.

One of South Florida’s largest haunted house experiences opened Oct. 6 in Doral’s Miami International Mall, boasting dozens of attractions, from haunted houses and a nightly side show to carnival games and food.

The first haunted house, “The Dark Hour,” features multiple rooms filled with gory props and actors sporting ghastly graphic makeup.

Another house, “1455 Asylum and Gates of Phobia,” provides guests with 3D glasses, distorting props and features. Your eyes play tricks on you, and floors move beneath your feet, while actors pop out and scare you.

this is an image

The new 3D haunted house, "1455 Asylum and Gates of Phobia" at House of Horror. Photo courtesy House of Horror.

The “Hellzapoppin” performance allows guests to watch awesome death-defying stunts. The annual sideshow, filled with carnival freaks, amped up the horror from past years. This year, each freakish act incorporates a new take on the simple blade trick.

One man swallows a blade of fire, another swallows multiple swords and a woman climbs a ladder made of blades to bewilder even the most skeptical guests.

this is an image

Host of Hellzapoppin show greets guests at the festival. Photo courtesy House of Horror.

In addition to the haunted houses and “Hellzapoppin” performance, there is a bar for guests that are 21 or older, where you can order Halloween-themed drinks.

There is also a Freak Emporium, featuring curious displays that range from mummies to chilling photos of some of the world’s most famous carnival freaks.

There are also classic carnival games and rides, such as a drop tower, a ferris wheel and a small roller coaster. However, beware of spooky monsters that roam the carnival streets.

There’s also a huge variety of food, including BBQ and corn on the cob, as well as traditional carnival-style desserts, such as fried Oreos, funnel cakes and fried Snickers bars.

General admission prices range from $10 to $29, excluding special event dates, such as the Phantasma Music Festival on Nov. 3 and Nov. 4.

Admission includes access to all of the rides within the carnival and a ticket to the two haunted houses.

Reduced prices are available for children six and under but do not include admission to the two haunted houses.

The carnival is open from 6 to 11 p.m. Monday through Thursday, 5:30 p.m. to midnight Fridays and Saturdays and 5:30 to 11 p.m. Sundays. The carnival is open through Nov. 4.

For more details about ticket pricing and special events, visit houseofhorrorcarnival.com.

Celine White

There is, indeed, a three-man quarterback race at the University of Miami. As spring came to a close ...

The Miami Hurricanes, for the past few years, have gone as far as their defense would take them, let ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s spring game at Camping World Stadium in Orlando: ▪ The quarterback play was ...

The Miami Hurricanes just wrapped up their spring game at Camping World Stadium in Orlando, where th ...

Mark Richt, speaking publicly for the first time since retiring as the Miami Hurricanes’ coach, said ...

Yvette Soler, B.M. ’96, better known as Tigrilla Gardenia, connects her music engineering background ...

Preservation Week, from April 21 to April 27, is focused on highlighting the importance of learning ...

There are numerous ways to connect with the University of Miami during the two-day tech conference o ...

A symbol of both French heritage and Catholicism, Paris’ 850-year-old gothic cathedral was gutted by ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

Nearly 10,000 fans got a glimpse of things to come at Camping World Stadium ...

The No. 23 Miami Hurricanes dropped the series finale on Saturday at No. 8 Louisville, 9-6. ...

Making its fourth straight appearance in the ACC Championship semifinals, the fifth-seeded and No. 2 ...

It took much longer than anticipated, but the No. 23 Miami Hurricanes outlasted No. 8 Louisville, 16 ...

The fifth-seeded and No. 21-ranked Miami women's tennis team knocked off fourth-seeded and nint ...