Baseball, Sports

UM baseball looking for walk-on athletes

Miami Hurricanes baseball will be holding a mandatory compliance meeting at the Schwartz Center for Athletic Excellence at 3 p.m. on Monday, Oct. 9.

Walk-on tryouts will be held at Alex Rodriguez Park at Mark Light Field at 5 p.m. on Tuesday, Oct. 17.

Anyone interested can call the baseball office at 305-284-4171 for more information.

UM’s 2017 recruiting class was ranked No. 8 in the country by Baseball America in September. The class is ranked No. 2 in the ACC, which continues a longstanding trend of top recruits choosing the University of Miami.

Miami’s 2016 group was ranked No. 13, its 2014 group was ranked No. 20, its 2013 class was ranked No. 6 and its 2012 newcomers were ranked No. 9.

Two members of the 2017 class were selected in the 2017 MLB First-Year Player Draft – right-handed pitcher Chris McMahon was taken by Milwaukee in the 33rd round while infielder Ray Gil was picked in the 37th round by Oakland.

Danny Reyes, an incoming transfer from Broward Junior College, was drafted in the 39th round by the Boston Red Sox out of high school in 2015.

McMahon (No. 76), first baseman Alex Toral (No. 199), outfielder Gabe Rivera (No. 329) and first baseman Connor Allen (No. 440) were all ranked among BaseballAmerica’s top 500 draft-eligible prospects.

Isaiah Kim-Martinez

Isaiah Kim-Martinez can be reached on Twitter at @isaiah_km.

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

It’s impossible for the Miami Hurricanes to ignore all the negative feedback which comes along with ...

The Pittsburgh Panthers’ win against the Virginia Tech Hokies was, for all intents and purposes, alr ...

University of Miami athletic director Blake James has no intention of pressuring or forcing coach Ma ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

An international study led by University of Miami tropical biologists reveals that tropical trees ar ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

The Canes know the importance a win over Virginia Tech on Saturday can have heading into the final w ...

The University of Miami women's golf team announced Thursday that international amateur standou ...

N'Kosi Perry wants to build off his showing at Georgia Tech with another strong performance thi ...

Tournament runs Nov. 21-24, 2019, in Charleston, S.C. ...