Edge, Reviews

Marlon Wayans’ standup routine shocks crowd

DSC06660-3.jpg

Actor and comedian, Marlon Wayans, performs his stand-up routine for students at the University of Miami's Rathskellar pub Thursday Sept. 28. Wayans is promoting his new TV show, "Marlon", which was recently renewed for a second season by NBC and is expected to air in the summer of 2018. Photo credit: Hunter Crenian

On Sept. 28, comedian and actor Marlon Wayans, known for “White Chicks” and “Scary Movie,” hosted a standup comedy show at the Rathskeller, a student hotspot on campus.

From Saturday Night Live to The Tonight Show, comedy has remained one of the purest, feel-good forms of entertainment, For Hurricane Productions (HP), bringing Wayans to campus seemed like an obvious choice.

Excited for a night of laughs, many pushed through the crowded restaurant to get good seats. However, after just twenty minutes, Wayans’ performance did more to divide than unite the crowd.

Not everyone would consider Wayans’ edgy and disruptive stand-up routine comedy. Many in the 500-seat crowd laughed, but others did not.

The jokes and ideas he included were, to some, offensive and even racist, while others found it relevant and humorous.

From jokes about the n-word to Trump riffs and comments about Kim Kardashian’s “zika-filled pussy,” his routine was filled with sexually-charged and politically-geared jokes.

“I’m a big fan of plenty of his movies, from ‘White Chicks’ to ‘Little Man,'” senior Chantel Batista said.I did think he is funnier in movies than in person.”

A few minutes into his set, Wayans sat on his stool onstage, spread his legs and joked about a girl licking his “gooch,” the area of skin between the butt and genitals.

Senior John Ghannam said it made audience members uncomfortable.

“It started off a little bit uncomfortable with the joke about the cotton picking,” Ghannam said. “I like that kind of humor, I just didn’t think it was that appropriate in the setting. I thought the Donald Trump jokes were funny, but I could feel a part of the audience getting uncomfortable, whether they support that or not.”

DSC06619-2.jpg

Photo credit: Hunter Crenian

However, Kyle Gordon, who is on the board for HP, expressed delight at the set. This uncensored form of comedy is a popular part of today’s culture.

“Honestly, I think that is what today’s comedians aim to do,” Gordon said. “When you go to a comic show, the boundaries we are trained to not cross are going to be crossed, and that’s what people find humor in nowadays.”

Fellow HP member and executive chair, Hunter Carpenter, said he would invite Wayans back to campus.

“Those of us in HP thought that Marlon Wayans did an excellent job combining both social issues and comedy, and thus starting a necessary conversation,” Carpenter said. “Overall, it was an event we would like to replicate again in the near future.”

After the blunt sex remarks and political-geared jokes, Wayans discussed how nothing in life comes easily and we have to work for success.

“If you want greatness and to be great you have to work harder than anyone else to attain that,” Wayans said.

To many in the audience, the change in direction from jokes to inspirational comments made for an easy and relatable transition.

“I like how in addition to telling jokes, he talked about real life issues and tried to inspire and motivate us,” junior Christian Brown said.

Wayans’ performance was one for the books. Only time will tell what rabbit Wayans will pull out his hat for his next show.

Alexandra Rothman

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos on Monday addressed the quarterback situation in this piece, culle ...

University of Florida big man Keith Stone, a 6-8 and 254-pound Deerfield Beach native, is heading cl ...

The Miami Hurricanes are primed to have another nice weekend in the NFL Draft, at least according to ...

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos already has displayed a penchant for giving thoughtful, substantiv ...

And you thought the quarterback race was hot before. After reviewing the University of Miami spring ...

Yvette Soler, B.M. ’96, better known as Tigrilla Gardenia, connects her music engineering background ...

Preservation Week, from April 21 to April 27, is focused on highlighting the importance of learning ...

There are numerous ways to connect with the University of Miami during the two-day tech conference o ...

A symbol of both French heritage and Catholicism, Paris’ 850-year-old gothic cathedral was gutted by ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

The Canes are ranked for the second consecutive week, cracking the top 25 in two different polls rel ...

Nearly 10,000 fans got a glimpse of things to come at Camping World Stadium ...

Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey, Jr. have been selected to receive the University of Miami Sports Hall of ...

Miami Athletics has become one of the leaders nationally in developing its sports psychology departm ...

Images from the University of Miami women's tennis team's run to the ACC Championship semi ...