Academics, Construction, Cover, News

Simulation hospital opens, allows hands-on instruction for nursing students

The orange carpet rolled out, and the ribbon was cut.

After two years of construction, the School of Nursing and Health Studies’ Simulation Hospital officially opened its doors.

At five stories and 41,000 square feet, the state-of-the-art building is one of the largest and most advanced simulation hospitals of its kind in the world.

University President Julio Frenk and new SONHS Dean Cindy Munro welcomed more than 250 special guests and the media to highlight the features and benefits of the new facility.

cutting of ribbon 0.jpg

The University of Miami's School of Nursing and Health Studies held a dedication ceremony on Thursday for its new state-of-the-art simulation hospital, a two-year-long construction project. From left, Art Miller, Pam Garrison, Richard Fain, UM School of Nursing Dean Cindy Munro, UM President Julio Frenk, former dean Nilda Peragallo, Thelma Gibson, and Jayne Malifitano. Photo credit: Kayla Haley

Research shows clinical simulation is the key to improving patient safety outcomes, Munro said, but the facility is more than just a classroom.

“The simulation hospital will be a living laboratory,” Munro said. “This space is about more than our education; it will also advance our mission to create new knowledge for practice.”

During the ceremony, guests and media took self-guided tours of the building. Graduate students presented emergency simulation demonstrations with reactive healthcare mannequins in eight different rooms. The presentations included a birth, resuscitation and fire.

SONHS_1.jpg

A simulation birth is performed at the School of Nursing and Health Studies’ new Simulation Hospital. The facility is one of the largest and most advanced simulation hospitals of its kind in the world. Photo credit: Kayla Haley

On the first-floor care providers illustrated the high stakes of emergency medical scenarios.

A “patient” with life-threatening injuries arrives in the emergency department and the students scramble to save him. The simulation patient in question is an electronic mannequin with vinyl skin controlled by a technician behind a computer screen who decides how the scene should play out.

The monitor showed vital signs deteriorating as the “patient” went into cardiac arrest. Students acted quickly and collaboratively to revive him. They rushed to deliver CPR and defibrillation shocks.

The new hospital illustrates that the future of healthcare is both dramatic and dynamic, Frenk said.

“We need a culture of innovation and continuous improvement, and all that is what this groundbreaking facility is going to allow,” he said.

The simulation hospital is open to students and serves as an environment where they will test and master skills.

First-year nursing student Kacie Robinson said the hospital was worth the wait.

“The simulation hospital will actually give us more of an idea of what to expect in the real world,” Robinson said, “like when we go out there and are hands-on with patients.”

Hurricane Irma interrupted the last phase of construction preparations and threatened to delay the dedication ceremony. Frenk related the hospital’s importance to the recent natural disasters in the United States, the Caribbean and Mexico.

“This hospital really launches a new vision for health, professional education, and also for disaster preparedness, which we have seen recently is really imperative,” he said.

The hospital serves as a center where students and professionals will test and master life-saving skills to revolutionize medical care and technology, including emergency preparation.

SONHS_2.jpg

Students scrub into a mock procedure, fully equipped with all necessary medical equipment. Photo credit: Kayla Haley

Former SONHS, Dean Nilda (Nena) Peragallo Montano, attended the ceremony and was credited with providing the vision for the hospital’s construction.

In August 2016, Montano announced her resignation and became the dean of the School of Nursing at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

The simulation hospital is also hosting its Inaugural Symposium 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. Sept. 29 in the hospital’s second-floor auditorium.

The session, “A Response to the Call for Radical Transformation,” will be a dialogue on real-world challenges and innovative solutions for improved disaster response and patient-care experiences.

“We not only open the doors to a new facility but also to new possibilities,” said Edward Erickson, the chief fire officer for Miami-Dade Fire Rescue and current Ph.D. student at SONHS.

Kayla Haley

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The Ring Theatre’s contemporary reworking of Molière’s “The Misanthrope” showcases the skills of UM’ ...

Miami Law’s Frances Hill answers key questions about the National Emergencies Act. ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

The Hurricanes will wrap up a four-game homestand with a midweek game against FAU on Wednesday at 6 ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team closed out the 2019 Allstate Sugar Bowl Intercollegi ...

The University of Miami swimming & diving team begins its run at the 2019 ACC Swimming & Div ...

For the second week in a row, the Miami women's basketball team made the largest leap of any sc ...