Campus Life, Cover, Culture, News, Student Government

Homecoming 2017 theme: Magic in U

The University of Miami’s homecoming committee revealed this year’s Homecoming Week theme to be “The Magic in U” on Monday.

“We always describe homecoming as such a magical time, and the way that the committee developed the theme fit the vision perfectly,” said Laura Thornton, chair of the Homecoming Executive Committee.

The theme was revealed through a Facebook video at 11 a.m. on Sept. 25, and two hours later has 1.6K views and 43 shares.

The video includes clips of past Homecoming football games and the traditional boat burning and fireworks. It culminated with Sebastian the Ibis holding a wand and wearing a sorcerer hat while adding a mini Hurricane football jersey and a football to a cauldron, creating the Homecoming theme.

“The theme will encompass all things magical, from spells and potions to princes and princesses,” said Thorton. “We want everyone to have fun with it and also remember that UM is a magical place and take time to appreciate it.”

Homecoming is a long-standing tradition at UM. Since in 1926, the UM community has united through a week of events that highlight the school’s spirit and tradition. If you want to learn more about planning homecoming, their first team meeting will be today, Monday, Sept. 25, at 8 p.m. in the Shalala Center.

Shellie Frai

Shellie Frai can be reached via email at shelliefrai@gmail.com or on Twitter at @fraishellie.

A University of Miami political scientist weighs in on whether election polls can be trusted given what occurred in 2016 and again last year. ...

A professor in the School of Communication, and an expert on the history of television sitcoms, writes about the 50th anniversary of “All in the Family.” ...

The former executive vice president and provost served from 1986 to 2005, elevating the University’s stature as a leading research institution. ...

The Hemispheric University Consortium is connecting universities and students for critical conversations focused on solving some of the world’s most pressing problems, such as climate change. ...

Experts say creativity and kindness can help make the most of this challenging holiday season. ...