Campus Life, Cover, Edge, News, Student Government

Homecoming 2017 theme: Magic in U

The University of Miami’s homecoming committee revealed this year’s Homecoming Week theme to be “The Magic in U” on Monday.

“We always describe homecoming as such a magical time, and the way that the committee developed the theme fit the vision perfectly,” said Laura Thornton, chair of the Homecoming Executive Committee.

The theme was revealed through a Facebook video at 11 a.m. on Sept. 25, and two hours later has 1.6K views and 43 shares.

The video includes clips of past Homecoming football games and the traditional boat burning and fireworks. It culminated with Sebastian the Ibis holding a wand and wearing a sorcerer hat while adding a mini Hurricane football jersey and a football to a cauldron, creating the Homecoming theme.

“The theme will encompass all things magical, from spells and potions to princes and princesses,” said Thorton. “We want everyone to have fun with it and also remember that UM is a magical place and take time to appreciate it.”

Homecoming is a long-standing tradition at UM. Since in 1926, the UM community has united through a week of events that highlight the school’s spirit and tradition. If you want to learn more about planning homecoming, their first team meeting will be today, Monday, Sept. 25, at 8 p.m. in the Shalala Center.

Shellie Frai

Shellie Frai can be reached via email at shelliefrai@gmail.com or on Twitter at @fraishellie.

UM’s recruiting class — comprised so far of 14 non-binding commitments — has dropped to 40th overall ...

University of Miami basketball player Dewan Hernandez, who has missed the first nine games of the se ...

Anthony Solomon will head north for his college football career. The St. Thomas Aquinas linebacker a ...

A day after naming Ephraim Banda and Jonathan Patke co-defensive coordinators, the Miami Hurricanes ...

It doesn’t matter if the number is actually 21 or it’s just what Jeremiah Payton estimates now. Twen ...

Feelings of depression and anxiety rise during the holidays, but there’s plenty you can do to keep u ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team turned in another stellar defensive performance Sun ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The Hurricanes hosted their annual Football Awards Show Saturday at Gusman Hall, honoring the 2018 S ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...