Finance, Hurricane, News

Financial aid office offers extra emergency aid to students post-Irma

Any University of Miami student financially impacted by recent natural disasters may be eligible for additional emergency funds from the university’s Office of Student Financial Assistance and Employment (OSFAE).

UM is allowed to distribute the funding because of an emergency declaration made by the Department of Education, OSFAE Executive Director Raymond Nault-Hix said. The funding will go toward covering “education-related essentials” – expenses students incurred to be safe during the storm, which may include airfare, hotel stays and meals.

Nault-Hix said OSFAE will pull money from wherever possible to provide emergency assistance to students in the shortest amount of time possible. Each application submitted before the Oct. 6 deadline will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.

In order to qualify, students must submit documentation and proof of payment of the expenses and a completed 2017-2018 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form. Students must have remaining eligibility for federal assistance. Personal property damage is not covered because it is typically covered by insurance, but students may be eligible for funding from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA).

If students have any questions, Nault-Hix advised to call the OSFAE, which has extended call hours until 6 p.m. Tuesday through Thursday. The phone number is 305-284-6000 (option 2 for undergraduate students, option 3 for law or graduate students; medical students should call 305-284-6211).

Isabella Cueto

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

Before Jess Simpson’s final playoff run as the coach of Buford fell short in a Georgia state champio ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

The University of Miami women's swimming and diving team finished off a clean sweep of in-state ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team recorded its second win of the day Saturday evening at the ...

Chris Lykes scored 20 points, but the Canes come up just short against No. 13 UNC. ...

In the first of its two matches Saturday at the FGCU Tennis Complex, the No. 17 Miami women's t ...