Hurricane, Opinion

Disconnection offers a chance for deeper connection during a storm

0427_001-1.png

Illustration by Isabella Cueto.

As a hurricane approaches, essential goods and commodities vanish. First, water disappears off stocked shelves. Then, it’s the gasoline; red plastic coverings hang on gas pumps. And, of course, when the hurricane finally hits, electrical grids are damaged, which can strip residents of power and cell service or even make a transformer explode, turning the whole sky into an eerie laser light show.

It’s a strange thing when the power is out. The luxury of air conditioning lacks, and reaching into the refrigerator for a snack is discouraged because the food will spoil faster. On top of everything, we must replace the hours normally spent on social media and television with something else.

If your situation was anything like mine, you hunkered down at home and spent the hurricane with family, swapping Internet for conversation. Chats spanned a whole gamut of topics, from my mother’s childhood growing up in Nicaragua without electricity to methods to increase air circulation through the house without risking mosquito bites.

Hurricane Irma took lives and, at the very least, inconvenienced many. But the days plagued by bad cell reception and no power allowed those who were lucky to spend time with family and friends.

There is a certain tranquility in disconnecting from the outside world. The world of politics and potential war with North Korea vanished. The storm forced us to spend time together without distraction or interference.

There is a certain beauty in having enough time to play Monopoly with younger siblings. There is even greater beauty in conversing without either party checking Twitter or Instagram.

What mattered lay right in front of us – our home and each other.

Kevin Bustamante is a senior majoring in political science and creative writing.

Featured photo courtesy pixabay user jnusch.

Kevin Bustamante

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes fell in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...