Athletics, Football, Sports, UM-FSU

UM football confirms next game will be against Toledo on Sept. 23

After having to cancel one game and postpone two others because of Hurricane Irma, Miami Hurricanes football has officially announced that it will play Toledo at 3:30 p.m. Sept. 23 at Hard Rock Stadium.

This will be the Canes’ first game back since the season opener against the Bethune-Cookman Wildcats on Sept. 2, and just their second game overall. It will be broadcast on the ACC’s Regional Sports Network.

On Sept. 6, UM announced it would be canceling all athletic events through at least Sept. 10, including its football matchup against Arkansas State scheduled for Sept. 9. It is still not clear when many UM sports will resume, but because of implications caused by Irma, Miami football has already postponed games against Florida State and Georgia Tech.

On Sept. 9, the ACC announced that UM will play FSU on Saturday, Oct. 7, and Georgia Tech on Saturday, Oct. 14. Originally, the matchups were set for Sept. 16 and Oct. 12, respectively.

The game against the Seminoles was moved because of safety concerns, while the game against the Yellow Jackets was rescheduled in order to abide by the conference rules. The ACC Football scheduling parameter requires teams playing on Thursday nights to have equal or full rest – most college football games are played on Saturday on a week-to-week basis.

University of Miami classes are not set to begin until Sept. 18 at the earliest, and the campus is currently closed to students as school officials assess damages and what they call “major safety hazards.” They will determine when the environment is safe to open again and will proceed to then send out the “all clear” message.

Because of these uncertainties, it is not yet known when Miami will practice again. Director of Athletics Blake James says Thursday, Sept. 14, would be the earliest day he can see it happening. The Hurricanes last practiced on Sept. 5.

Isaiah Kim-Martinez

Isaiah Kim-Martinez can be reached on Twitter at @isaiah_km.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Canes find themselves in the mix for a couple o ...

It was May 2015, and the Miami Herald was reporting for a feature on high school football players ab ...

Deidrick Stanley had his eye on the Miami Hurricanes long before his hometown school finally offered ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

Even five months ago, it would’ve been hard to picture Jaylan Knighton winding up with the Miami Hur ...

A former UM professor started a company dedicated to publishing books on African-American culture, h ...

A group of School of Architecture students visited the Caribbean nation to learn about the historic ...

Faculty with the Miller School of Medicine and Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science w ...

Patricia “Trish” White, dean of the School of Law, is stepping down at the end of the academic year. ...

At the annual Hug the Lake, sustainability manager Teddy Lhoutellier was honored for improving the e ...

Michael Amditis tied a career-high with three hits and a homer to help the #24 Canes sweep FIU. ...

Miami earns sixth seed in Cle Elum Regional, hosted by the University of Washington. ...

The Hurricanes will open an eight-game homestand with a midweek matchup against crosstown FIU on Wed ...

Talking Track is a series that features current members of the Miami track and field program, while ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame announced that Trajan Bandy is the 26th recipient of the ...