Athletics, Football, Sports, UM-FSU

UM football confirms next game will be against Toledo on Sept. 23

After having to cancel one game and postpone two others because of Hurricane Irma, Miami Hurricanes football has officially announced that it will play Toledo at 3:30 p.m. Sept. 23 at Hard Rock Stadium.

This will be the Canes’ first game back since the season opener against the Bethune-Cookman Wildcats on Sept. 2, and just their second game overall. It will be broadcast on the ACC’s Regional Sports Network.

On Sept. 6, UM announced it would be canceling all athletic events through at least Sept. 10, including its football matchup against Arkansas State scheduled for Sept. 9. It is still not clear when many UM sports will resume, but because of implications caused by Irma, Miami football has already postponed games against Florida State and Georgia Tech.

On Sept. 9, the ACC announced that UM will play FSU on Saturday, Oct. 7, and Georgia Tech on Saturday, Oct. 14. Originally, the matchups were set for Sept. 16 and Oct. 12, respectively.

The game against the Seminoles was moved because of safety concerns, while the game against the Yellow Jackets was rescheduled in order to abide by the conference rules. The ACC Football scheduling parameter requires teams playing on Thursday nights to have equal or full rest – most college football games are played on Saturday on a week-to-week basis.

University of Miami classes are not set to begin until Sept. 18 at the earliest, and the campus is currently closed to students as school officials assess damages and what they call “major safety hazards.” They will determine when the environment is safe to open again and will proceed to then send out the “all clear” message.

Because of these uncertainties, it is not yet known when Miami will practice again. Director of Athletics Blake James says Thursday, Sept. 14, would be the earliest day he can see it happening. The Hurricanes last practiced on Sept. 5.

Isaiah Kim-Martinez

Isaiah Kim-Martinez can be reached on Twitter at @isaiah_km.

If redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is starting Thursday night for the No. 16 Miami Hurricanes against ...

It sure sounds like redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is going to get his first career start at 8 Thurs ...

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

Theatre arts students open the Ring Theatre’s 2018-19 season with a tribute to the creative genius w ...

UM representatives earned Novice and Junior Varsity categories at the National Opener, one of the mo ...

The Office of Civic and Community Engagement receives a $300,000 investment from JPMorgan Chase to t ...

Conference play is just a few days away and the Miami Hurricanes are focused on their ACC opener on ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

Miami junior Estela Perez-Somarriba's 6-4, 6-3 victory over Evgeniya Levashova will be re-broad ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...