Academics, News

No drastic changes in 2018 U.S. News ranking for UM, UF rises to best in state

The University of Miami remained relatively static in the 2018 U.S. News and World Report National University Rankings, released Tuesday. It fell two spots to No. 46 from its No. 44 ranking last year. The University of Florida, ranked No. 50 last year, has risen to No. 42 and is now the highest-ranked school in the state, a title that volleyed back and forth in recent years between the large public school and UM.

UM is in a six-way tie for the No. 46 spot, with Lehigh, UC Davis, Pepperdine, the University of Wisconsin-Madison, and Villanova University. Due to the compressed nature of the numeric rankings, UM’s two-rank drop is not indicative of significant change.

U.S. News evaluates schools on graduation and retention rates, undergraduate academic reputation among academics and counselors, faculty resources, student selectivity, financial resources, graduation rate performance and alumni giving rate. There have been no major changes in methodology since last year.

In other listings by U.S. News, UM was ranked as the 18th-best college for veterans and the 59th-best college for value. The full Best Colleges rankings can be found on the U.S. News website.

Jackie Yang

It appears that at least one LSU receiver won’t be available at the University of Miami football ope ...

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

They are two big bodies with experience, but new to the University of Miami. And the Miami Hurricane ...

Freshman quarterback Jarren Williams, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing most of Tuesd ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...