Academics, News

No drastic changes in 2018 U.S. News ranking for UM, UF rises to best in state

The University of Miami remained relatively static in the 2018 U.S. News and World Report National University Rankings, released Tuesday. It fell two spots to No. 46 from its No. 44 ranking last year. The University of Florida, ranked No. 50 last year, has risen to No. 42 and is now the highest-ranked school in the state, a title that volleyed back and forth in recent years between the large public school and UM.

UM is in a six-way tie for the No. 46 spot, with Lehigh, UC Davis, Pepperdine, the University of Wisconsin-Madison, and Villanova University. Due to the compressed nature of the numeric rankings, UM’s two-rank drop is not indicative of significant change.

U.S. News evaluates schools on graduation and retention rates, undergraduate academic reputation among academics and counselors, faculty resources, student selectivity, financial resources, graduation rate performance and alumni giving rate. There have been no major changes in methodology since last year.

In other listings by U.S. News, UM was ranked as the 18th-best college for veterans and the 59th-best college for value. The full Best Colleges rankings can be found on the U.S. News website.

Jackie Yang

Deidrick Stanley had his eye on the Miami Hurricanes long before his hometown school finally offered ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

Even five months ago, it would’ve been hard to picture Jaylan Knighton winding up with the Miami Hur ...

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos on Monday addressed the quarterback situation in this piece, culle ...

University of Florida big man Keith Stone, a 6-8 and 254-pound Deerfield Beach native, is heading cl ...

A former UM professor started a company dedicated to publishing books on African-American culture, h ...

A group of School of Architecture students visited the Caribbean nation to learn about the historic ...

Faculty with the Miller School of Medicine and Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science w ...

Patricia “Trish” White, dean of the School of Law, is stepping down at the end of the academic year. ...

At the annual Hug the Lake, sustainability manager Teddy Lhoutellier was honored for improving the e ...

The Hurricanes will open an eight-game homestand with a midweek matchup against crosstown FIU on Wed ...

Talking Track is a series that features current members of the Miami track and field program, while ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame announced that Trajan Bandy is the 26th recipient of the ...

Stone played in 85 career games at University of Florida. ...

The Miami women's tennis team continued its ascent up the national rankings Tuesday, moving up ...