Academics, News

No drastic changes in 2018 U.S. News ranking for UM, UF rises to best in state

The University of Miami remained relatively static in the 2018 U.S. News and World Report National University Rankings, released Tuesday. It fell two spots to No. 46 from its No. 44 ranking last year. The University of Florida, ranked No. 50 last year, has risen to No. 42 and is now the highest-ranked school in the state, a title that volleyed back and forth in recent years between the large public school and UM.

UM is in a six-way tie for the No. 46 spot, with Lehigh, UC Davis, Pepperdine, the University of Wisconsin-Madison, and Villanova University. Due to the compressed nature of the numeric rankings, UM’s two-rank drop is not indicative of significant change.

U.S. News evaluates schools on graduation and retention rates, undergraduate academic reputation among academics and counselors, faculty resources, student selectivity, financial resources, graduation rate performance and alumni giving rate. There have been no major changes in methodology since last year.

In other listings by U.S. News, UM was ranked as the 18th-best college for veterans and the 59th-best college for value. The full Best Colleges rankings can be found on the U.S. News website.

Jackie Yang

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team impressed in its quad-meet Friday af ...

Junior averaged 11.4 points and 6.7 rebounds per game last season. ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

A duo of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes advanced through to the Round of 16 ...

Senior Dew Weber of the University of Miami golf team continued to march towards her professional go ...