Environment, Hurricane, International, News

UM student experiences earthquake in Mexico while fleeing Hurricane Irma

As thousands of University of Miami students sought refuge from the impact of Hurricane Irma, one student had a close encounter with another natural disaster in the process.

Junior Alec Litofsky was in Mexico City when a magnitude 8.1 earthquake shook Mexico Thursday, Sept. 7. It was the largest earthquake to hit the country in over a century. Just a day earlier, Litofsky had boarded a plane from Miami to Mexico City after UM cancelled classes and suggested students to evacuate in preparation for the storm.

Litofsky said though he didn’t feel the impact of the earthquake in Mexico City as strongly as others, he knows of some who did.

“They were really scared,” said Litofsky, a double major in political science and international relations. “One [friend]said she had to wake her son up and run outside because the building was swaying. She felt the building crack. She was on the 12th floor.”

The worst of the quake was felt in southern coastal states such as Oaxaca and Chiapas. The magnitude of the earthquake stretched as far as Mexico City to Guatemala City.

Litofsky, originally from San Antonio, Texas, said although he didn’t feel the extensive impact of the earthquake, he said he believes he would have been more afraid of Hurricane Irma.

“I guarantee I would have been more scared in Miami,” he said. “The earthquake didn’t last so long and we didn’t know it would happen.”

In the aftermath of the earthquake, an estimated 90 deaths have been recorded – most of them in Oaxaca and Chiapas. UM President Julio Frenk has ties to both states.

Frenk spent time in both Oaxaca and Chiapas while he was in high school. He said, at the time, transportation was minimal. It would take him hours walking to get to where he was going.

He said though infrastructure is better now, the area of Chiapas is sill poor and mountainous.

“When we deny climate change and all of that, and refuse to take action, we are affecting these poor people,” Frenk said.

Though Frenk’s parents live in Mexico City, they still felt the gravity of the shake. His mom, 89, and his dad, 94, were able to get down to the ground floor of their building when the earthquake shook the city.

In the hours and days after the earthquake, tsunami warnings were issued and over 62 aftershocks were reported, according to Mexican President Enrique Peña Nieto.

For Litofsky, the uncertainty of natural disasters and their aftermaths doesn’t scare him.

“There’s not much you can do but pray,” he said.

Amanda Herrera

Amanda Herrera can be reached via email at aherrera@themiamihurricane.com and through Twitter at @_AmandaHerrera.

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos on Monday addressed the quarterback situation in this piece, culle ...

University of Florida big man Keith Stone, a 6-8 and 254-pound Deerfield Beach native, is heading cl ...

The Miami Hurricanes are primed to have another nice weekend in the NFL Draft, at least according to ...

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos already has displayed a penchant for giving thoughtful, substantiv ...

And you thought the quarterback race was hot before. After reviewing the University of Miami spring ...

Yvette Soler, B.M. ’96, better known as Tigrilla Gardenia, connects her music engineering background ...

Preservation Week, from April 21 to April 27, is focused on highlighting the importance of learning ...

There are numerous ways to connect with the University of Miami during the two-day tech conference o ...

A symbol of both French heritage and Catholicism, Paris’ 850-year-old gothic cathedral was gutted by ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

The Canes are ranked for the second consecutive week, cracking the top 25 in two different polls rel ...

Nearly 10,000 fans got a glimpse of things to come at Camping World Stadium ...

Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey, Jr. have been selected to receive the University of Miami Sports Hall of ...

Miami Athletics has become one of the leaders nationally in developing its sports psychology departm ...

Images from the University of Miami women's tennis team's run to the ACC Championship semi ...