Edge, Hurricane, Theater

Pippin rehearsals get postponed

In light of Hurricane Irma and all University of Miami campuses shutting down starting Sept. 5, clubs and organizations had to postpone their meetings and rehearsals.

On a campus of nearly 16,000 students and 270 clubs and organizations, moving this many plans was no easy feat.

When it came to postponing rehearsals for the Ring Theatre’s upcoming play, “Pippin,” not only was production halted but the sets and costume-making had to stop as well.

“We assume most of our students have left,” Chairman of the Department of Theatre Arts Stephen Di Benedetto said. “We have canceled rehearsals until university operations begin again … We have certainly lost time building the sets and costumes.”

The delay has everyone wondering if the show will be ready by opening night Sept. 28. Benedetto said the department must wait and see how long production is delayed before deciding.

Benedetto said he remains confident. As they say in theater, Benedetto insists “the show must go on.”

Shellie Frai

Shellie Frai can be reached via email at shelliefrai@gmail.com or on Twitter at @fraishellie.

At 7:27 p.m Tuesday, University of Miami football coach Manny Diaz tweeted a GIF of a swirling Hurri ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ As Miami awaits decisions from its potential 2019 qua ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday night: ▪ FIU has decided that its Nov. 23 football game agains ...

Dewan Hernandez hit another NCAA roadblock on Monday, but the University of Miami forward will take ...

Jeff Thomas will be joining the Illinois Fighting Illini after all. After a few days of discussion a ...

Grantees aim to eliminate opportunity gaps and biases in different realms and improve brain injury t ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

For more than 77 years, UM Hillel has provided a vibrant and diverse “home-away-from-home” that is f ...

University of Miami experts weigh in on the largest increase in carbon emissions in eight years. ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

Pictures from the No. 17 Miami women's tennis team's season-opening action in the Miami Sp ...