Athletics, Football, Hurricane, Sports

All Miami Hurricanes’ sports cancelled through the weekend

Hurricane Irma is fast approaching South Florida as a Category 5 storm with winds reaching speeds of over 185 miles per hour. With a rising chance that the storm will hit Miami, the University of Miami Department of Athletics has cancelled all athletic events for the school through the weekend.

This includes the matchup between Canes football and Arkansas State that was originally scheduled for 3:30 on Sept. 9. Miami was supposed to travel to Jonesboro, Arkansas, for the game prior to the notice of the hurricane.

The football game will not be rescheduled because there are no mutually available dates.

According to staff, it was not the trip up to Arkansas that was the problem, it was the concern and uncertainty of making the trip back down to Miami after the game that would have caused an issue. The worst of the storm for South Florida is likely to come on Sunday, Sept. 10.

“The decision to cancel these athletic contests is difficult, especially as some are scheduled to take place away from Miami,” Director of Athletics Blake James said. “However, we made the collective decision that we simply cannot put our student-athletes, coaches and staff in danger traveling to and from contests. As we have seen from the tragic impact of Hurricane Harvey—and from South Florida’s own experiences—the impacts of hurricanes can be devastating and long-lasting, and can make travel extremely difficult and dangerous.

“I want to thank all of our opponents for their cooperation and understanding,” James continued. “Our thoughts are with those in the path of Hurricane Irma both here in South Florida and afar. We are comforted in knowing that our community is strong and will come together, if needed, to recover from the storm.”

Up until Tuesday morning, UM football was practicing on a normal schedule, but the severity of Irma changed everything.

Isaiah Kim-Martinez

Isaiah Kim-Martinez can be reached on Twitter at @isaiah_km.

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

Before Jess Simpson’s final playoff run as the coach of Buford fell short in a Georgia state champio ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

The University of Miami women's swimming and diving team finished off a clean sweep of in-state ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team recorded its second win of the day Saturday evening at the ...

Chris Lykes scored 20 points, but the Canes come up just short against No. 13 UNC. ...

In the first of its two matches Saturday at the FGCU Tennis Complex, the No. 17 Miami women's t ...