Soccer, Sports

Miami offense cashes in on opportunities to beat Quinnipiac 3-1

The Hurricanes brought the rain to Hamden, Connecticut, and came out with a 3-1 victory over the Quinnipiac Bobcats on Saturday afternoon.

Three Canes hit the back of the net for the first time this season: sophomore midfielder Lauren Markwith, junior midfielder Jamie Brunworth and freshman forward Michelle Giamportone.

Miami was the aggressor in both halves, and scoring chances came in bunches. The Hurricanes’ offense dominated with a 32-3 shot differential and 14-1 with shots on goal.

“I was proud of the team for scoring some really nice goals today,” coach Mary-Frances Monroe said. “We talked about dominating a game, and we did that. We had the majority of possession and limited our turnovers.”

It was a welcome victory for the team after suffering two straight losses on the road. The match marked the last of a four-game road trip.

The Canes (4-2-0) ended the first half with seven shots on goal. The Bobcats had zero. Quinnipiac (3-2-0) goalkeeper Olivia Myszewski put on an impressive display with six saves in the first half to keep the score close.

Markwith found a way past Myszewski in the 42nd minute on an unusual goal coming feet from the net – the ball had bounced off Myszewski after a shot attempt by sophomore Kristina Fisher. The ball then ricocheted off the post after an initial attempt from Markwith, who then guided it into the net.

A scorching shot from Quinnipiac’s Nadya Gill in the 52nd minute evened the score at 1-1. Gill’s shot came from outside the box off her right foot.

The following 20 minutes were filled with plenty of chances for Miami to take the lead, including a shot by Fisher in the 68th minute that was saved by Myszewski and an attempt that just barely missed over the crossbar by senior Grace Rapp in the 73rd minute.

The Canes were able to capitalize in the 74th minute when redshirt sophomore midfielder Ainsly Wolfinbarger found Giamportone with a cross into the box. Just four minutes later, Brunworth scored the goal of the match. She rocketed the ball into the corner from 35 yards away, ensuring the win for the Hurricanes.

“When I got the ball with some time and space, I did my best to get the ball on frame to test the keeper – to either get a good rebound scoring-chance or goal,” Brunworth said. “I was glad I was able to bury the shot.”

Miami stayed aggressive throughout, despite missed opportunities and challenging weather conditions.

“With the rain coming down, we knew that we needed to get more chances on goal in the second half because the keeper was having a tough time collecting the ball,” Brunworth said. “I’m very proud of this team for playing through the elements and pulling out a W.”

UM comes back home to face the College of Charleston at 7 p.m. Sept. 8 at Cobb Stadium.

Michael Leyva

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team impressed in its quad-meet Friday af ...

Junior averaged 11.4 points and 6.7 rebounds per game last season. ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

A duo of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes advanced through to the Round of 16 ...

Senior Dew Weber of the University of Miami golf team continued to march towards her professional go ...