Football, Sports, UM-FSU

FSU quarterback Deondre Francois out for the season after injury

Hurricanes head coach Mark Richt may not be ready to talk about week three’s matchup against Florida State right now, but it seems like everyone else is.

While fans and media already can’t help but look ahead to the historic, ranked showdown coming in a couple weeks, today’s news didn’t help.

It was announced that Seminoles starting quarterback Deondre Francois will be out the entire 2017 season after suffering an injury to his patella tendon last night in the team’s season opener against Alabama.

In the fourth quarter of the game, Francois ran out to his right to make a pass when he got blindside sacked by Crimson Tide safety Ronnie Harrison. Francois got his legs rolled over from beneath him when he fell. He then clutched his left knee in obvious pain while laying on the turf of Mercedes-Benz Stadium.

He was carted off the field with an air cast around his knee and returned to the sidelines later on with a brace on his leg while using crutches.

Now the question is, how will this affect the Canes’ face-off against the Noles on Sept. 16?

Miami will now most likely have to game plan for freshman quarterback James Blackman, who finished the game for Florida State against Alabama.

There is no question that both teams are talented on both sides of the ball, but from the looks of it, it seems that the Hurricanes’ defense should have the advantage in this situation. They are regarded to have one of the top front-seven units in college football, which will likely look to put pressure on a quarterback that will be starting his first ACC football game.

For now, however, Miami remains focused on its next opponent, Arkansas State, whom it will play at 3:30 p.m. on Sept. 9 at Centennial Bank Stadium.

“If anybody thinks about FSU this week, we’ll be a sad bunch of football players and coaches,” Richt said Sunday. “We play an excellent team this week, and that’s who we’re going to focus on right now.”

Isaiah Kim-Martinez

Isaiah Kim-Martinez can be reached on Twitter at @isaiah_km.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team will begin her fall campaign Thursday a ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...