Culture, Fashion

Fall fashion cool enough for the Miami heat

To everyone itching for the season to change so you can break out your fall wardrobe, don’t let the weather discourage you. It may be 95 degrees outside, but that doesn’t mean it can’t be fall in your closet. Here are five ways to rock autumn’s hottest trends when the weather’s trending hotter.

Primary Flair

The days when fall meant burgundies and browns are gone. This year’s cooler season is all about bright, primary colors. Pair a cropped, bell-sleeved top in blue with daring yellow trousers. These open-toed mules and circular bag are the best accessories for the transition between summer and fall.

Screen Shot 2017-08-26 at 8.52.04 PM.png

Holy Shift

Whether you’re headed to class or a classy date, this sixties shift dress is the perfect, versatile piece. The gingham print is summery when paired with sandals and a wicker bag, but if you add a mod clutch and booties, it’s amazingly fall. Finish it off with a wine-stained lip color for an extra autumn feel.

Screen Shot 2017-08-26 at 8.56.09 PM.png

Power Clash

Smash the old taboo about clashing colors and rock a ruffled-sleeve top in burnt orange with a structural pair of cherry-red shorts. Amplify the seventies vibes with a pair of Bowie-esque silver boots and a furry, mustard-color clutch. The only thing missing is a sweet guitar solo.

Screen Shot 2017-08-26 at 10.34.37 PM.png

Wide Not?

Sayonara, skinny jeans, the nineties skate-vibe is back in style. Don some wide-leg denim with a unique white trim and pair it with classic checkerboard vans. Sticking with this fall’s primary color trend, add pops of red with this Rolling Stones tee and graffiti Gucci tote.

Screen Shot 2017-08-26 at 6.51.17 PM.png

Naughty Aughts

Who knew the early aughts would make a comeback so soon. Channel the early 2000s with these skinny red sunglasses and a matching black and white plaid set that’s straight out of “Clueless.” If it’s a bit too Cher Lloyd for you, edge up the look with a mustard-colored saddle bag and black patent boots.

Screen Shot 2017-08-26 at 7.20.14 PM.png

Haley Walker

During a virtual panel discussion hosted by the University of Washington, President Julio Frenk discussed global responses to the pandemic—and what is needed to move forward. ...

Members of the Homecoming Executive Committee share how they pivoted this year to plan a ’Canes Spirit Week that continues to generate excitement and honor tradition. ...

One of the University’s largest student-run organizations didn’t miss a beat when moving its dance lessons online. ...

Tau Sigma National Honor Society and the Department of Orientation and Commuter Student Involvement host a week of interactive events honoring transfer students Oct. 19-25. ...

A graduate of the highly selective Applied Behavior Analysis program, Fajer Almenaie is changing the landscape for children on the autism spectrum in the Middle East. ...