Edge, Reviews, Television

American Horror Story: Cult tackles the aftermath of the Trump election

ahs_cult.jpg

Photo courtesy of The Hollywood Reporter

To invoke fear, filmmakers and television show creators often use ghosts, covens or demons. But in the newest season of American Horror Story,” the show creators used the sentence, “It is now official, Donald Trump is the next president of the United States.”

As the first non-supernatural season of the famous show’s franchise, AHS: Cult,” explores one of the most frightening conversations to ever unfold at the dinner table since November 2016 – politics.

The show’s trailer begins with a newscaster announcing that Donald Trump has become president of the United States.

The news is followed by Ally, played by “AHS” veteran Sarah Paulson, screaming at the top of her lungs and a blue-haired, punk-looking kid trying to smash his TV screen.

In the trailer, Ally seems to go insane as the news of Trump getting elected consumes her and leads her on a downward spiral.

The trailer also includes masks of Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton, chains and someone washing blood off their hands. Although abstract, these characters and objects are exaggerated representations of the way cults are viewed.

The idea of a cult is most notably seen in the army of identical looking clowns that terrorize Ally and her family.

“Do you feel alone?” ask the clowns. “Do you feel like nobody understands you?” That is an all too familiar question that baits those who felt alone and desperate after the 2016 election.

One of the most terrifying elements of this season that differs from the previous is all gory crimes. In past seasons, such as “Coven” and Hotel,” the majority of the crimes were committed by supernatural creatures, such as witches and vampires. This season’s crimes are committed by people.

This is just one of the ways “American Horror Story: Cult” takes political ideologies and leaders to their extremes.

“If you get people scared enough, they will set the world on fire,” said Kai in the trailer.

Discover for yourself if that statement is true by tuning into “American Horror Story: Cult,” premiering Tuesday, Sept. 5.

Alexandra Rothman

The mid-major monster nearly mauled the Miami Hurricanes again. But Miami bit back. Miami’s past thr ...

TCU coach Gary Patterson doesn’t like the way college football is trending when it comes to transfer ...

Oklahoma has its Oklahoma Drills. But the fired-up U has its own version of major college football p ...

Day Three of University of Miami football practice media viewing Friday inside the Carol Soffer Indo ...

Three-point defense isn’t enough of a weakness for the Miami Hurricanes to call it a full-fledged Ac ...

The School of Nursing and Health Studies’ global research training program for minority students is ...

The University of Miami community gathered to remember the victims of the deadly New Zealand mosque ...

Culminating "an awesome, institution-wide effort," the Miller School of Medicine is celebr ...

Activist Claudio Rojas was featured in a documentary film, “The Infiltrators,” which is critical of ...

Associate professors William Pestle and Kathleen Sullivan Sealey traveled with students over spring ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's basketball team opened NCAA Tournament play with a 69-62 triump ...

University of Miami redshirt sophomore Alicia Blagg saved her best for last at the 2019 NCAA Swimmin ...

In a battle between two of the ACC's best pitchers, No. 5 NC State mustered a fifth-inning rall ...

The Hurricanes top Duke, 4-3, to improve to 6-0 in conference action. ...

The Miami track and field team concluded day one of the Power 5 Trailblazer Challenge competing in t ...