Administration, Health, News

UHealth CEO Dr. Steven Altschuler resigns

Dr. Steven Altschuler is resigning less than two years after he was brought on as the executive vice president for Health Affairs and CEO of UHealth.

A letter sent out by University of Miami President Julio Frenk said Altschuler’s resignation will take effect Sept. 15 and attributed the resignation to his desire “to pursue other interests in biotechnology.”

Just three months ago, on May 24, Frenk sent out a letter to the UM community explaining organizational changes that named Altschuler to an “executive budget committee,” along with the then-unnamed executive vice president and provost and Chief Operating Officer Jacqueline Travisano, a new hire. Money seems to be the big concern as the health system adapts to changes in healthcare and policy and undertakes the shift from inpatient to outpatient services, such as those provided at the Lennar Foundation Medical Center on the Coral Gables campus.

Altschuler started at the university Jan. 1, 2016. Before that, he served as president and CEO of The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia and The Children’s Hospital Foundation for 15 years.

During his time at UM, he helped transition the university to a new single-license University of Miami Health System. Altschuler will remain a consultant to the university through the end of the calendar year, Frenk wrote in the announcement.

Dr. Edward Abraham, dean of the Miller School of Medicine, will assume Altschuler’s responsibilities.

Isabella Cueto

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Coach Manny Diaz said the quarterback race among Ta ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...