Edge, Food

Satisfy your food truck craving with the push of a button

IMG_5612.PNG

Mouth watering, heart racing and appetite swelling, a hungry student craves a delicious meal from an all-time favorite food truck. However, there is minimal time to go around in search of a mobile food stand during the academic year.

Diego Kramer, a former University of Miami student, has found the answer to this problem.

“I am facing the issue firsthand,” Kramer said of his online platform that connects people to local food trucks.

His app, Kater, revolutionizes food truck accessibility. Created about a year ago, Kater allows its users to access any food truck’s location, menu and catering services.

Kramer’s research on campus led to the development of the app, inspired by his own weekly search for food trucks.

“The University of Miami was a great place to interact with people eating from food trucks, due to it being home to many vendors,” Kramer said.

With accessibility to food trucks featuring a range of cuisines – Venezuelan, Mexican, Caribbean and Southern – courtesy of the app, this tool has the ability to satisfy palates of various cultures.

In addition to its many offerings, the app is very user-friendly.

Once you open the app, it will display a map of local food trucks that are available in the area. It is also possible to find a food truck willing to cater a party or special celebration.

The app locates food trucks that are both open or closed, and a feature allows users to check which are already open and serving nearby.

This app will also help students in a rush. They can easily order food from the truck using the app and pick it up without waiting in line.

Kater is based in Miami, but the app can be used anywhere, locating food trucks worldwide.

Students can get involved with Kater by sending a quick message to info@eatkater.com with their name, major, class year and favorite dish.

If you are a food truck owner and want to get your truck registered on the app, sign up at www.eatkater.com.

Owen Clapp

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Canes find themselves in the mix for a couple o ...

It was May 2015, and the Miami Herald was reporting for a feature on high school football players ab ...

Deidrick Stanley had his eye on the Miami Hurricanes long before his hometown school finally offered ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

Even five months ago, it would’ve been hard to picture Jaylan Knighton winding up with the Miami Hur ...

A former UM professor started a company dedicated to publishing books on African-American culture, h ...

A group of School of Architecture students visited the Caribbean nation to learn about the historic ...

Faculty with the Miller School of Medicine and Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science w ...

Patricia “Trish” White, dean of the School of Law, is stepping down at the end of the academic year. ...

At the annual Hug the Lake, sustainability manager Teddy Lhoutellier was honored for improving the e ...

Michael Amditis tied a career-high with three hits and a homer to help the #24 Canes sweep FIU. ...

Miami earns sixth seed in Cle Elum Regional, hosted by the University of Washington. ...

The Hurricanes will open an eight-game homestand with a midweek matchup against crosstown FIU on Wed ...

Talking Track is a series that features current members of the Miami track and field program, while ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame announced that Trajan Bandy is the 26th recipient of the ...