Current administration must protect net neutrality

The principle of net neutrality states that large internet service providers (ISPs), such as Comcast, Verizon and AT&T, should not be able to interfere and exploit users’ internet experience. Current policy prohibits these providers from blocking or favoring websites through the data-optimizing process of paid prioritization. Net neutrality is essential for educational purposes and economic and political freedoms, all of which are crucial in our democracy.

In recent years, our freedom of the web has been substantially challenged by these very same ISPs, which seek to manipulate the principle of net neutrality by undermining our protections to accumulate more power and restrict what the user can see.

In 2015, millions of activists demanded that the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) protect the rights of internet users by enforcing Title II of the Communications Act, which regulates the Broadband Telecommunications Industry. The FCC complied with the public’s desires, but lobbyists and members of Congress have worked to roll back the decision by introducing deceptive bills that include loopholes for discriminatory practices and restrain the FCC’s ability to revise Title II.

Today, the debate has carried over into the Trump administration. Trump’s recent nomination of former Verizon lawyer Ajit Pai as FCC Chairman was received with great support by large ISPs.

Pai has promised to “protect consumers” and make the FCC more open and transparent. However, he has also criticized and seeks to dismantle the net neutrality rules that were implemented in 2015.

Entrepreneurs, small businesses and startups rely on an open internet to thrive. Net neutrality provides a level playing field on which consumers freely choose which products and services they wish to see. The consequences of Pai and the ISPs getting their way are grand. It has become a trend in our country for a considerable amount of power to be centralized in too few hands. As a result, many communities will be negatively affected and left in a position that will not allow them to fight back.

If the protections of net neutrality were removed, the opportunity for ISPs to impose more fees for faster internet would arise and small businesses would be at a disadvantage. Innovation and competition would drastically decrease, giving a tremendous amount of power to already large companies.

Political opportunities would diminish, as ISPs could potentially block the voices of political opinions with which they disagree. Candidates running for office would struggle to challenge incumbents, which hurts the democratic process. Social activists would have a difficult time organizing people for injustices that are not being addressed. This sets a dangerous precedent, as the future of the country is decided not by the people but by large companies that seek profit and power.

The public comment period on the FCC’s proposal to end net neutrality ends on Aug. 30. Freedom of speech is at stake as we strive to protect our right to freely roam the web. Now is the time to reach out to policymakers, voicing our dissent and urging them to protect our freedoms.

Daniel Gallego is a sophomore majoring in political science, economics, and psychology.

Featured courtesy Pixabay user blickpixel.

Daniel Gallego

A day after practicing in the Carol Soffer Football Indoor Practice Facility for the first time in s ...

It appears that at least one LSU receiver won’t be available at the University of Miami football ope ...

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

They are two big bodies with experience, but new to the University of Miami. And the Miami Hurricane ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...