Chavismo has left Venezuela in a state of turmoil

As an aspiring revolutionary of the late 20th century, Hugo Chavez possessed two things that led him to the upper echelons of an effort to overthrow the Venezuelan government: a deep admiration for Fidel Castro and a strong inclination toward Marxism-Leninism.

The Venezuela of the early ’90s was a country plagued by poor economic conditions and social turmoil, which provided Chavez and his army of ex-Communists and guerilla fighters the traction they needed to stage a coup against President Carlos Perez’s government. The coup was unsuccessful, and Chavez was sentenced to prison.

During his incarceration, Chavez, then seen as a hero by the poor and disenchanted, gained the populist support that bolstered him to the presidency in 1999. The decisive victory led to more than a decade worth of policies that have given rise to the crisis we’re seeing in the streets of Venezuela today.

The so-called chavistas are a loyal bunch. Chavez’s name is often invoked by his loyalists in the same vein as that of Simón Bolívar, the military general who played a leading role in the independence of Venezuela in 1811. Throughout each election since 1999, Chavez’s campaign promises included helping the poor and eliminating corruption. This led to a massive spike in investments in social programs in the mid-2000s, which managed to woo allies and constituents to not only re-elect him three times but also vote to eliminate term limits to keep him in power longer.

Today, even with current president Nicolas Maduro’s low popularity ratings, chavistas in Venezuela’s judicial system have managed to keep the regime afloat by suppressing and intimidating the opposition. Armed colectivos, or government supporters, have acted as paramilitary groups to defend their idol at all costs. As a result of chavismo’s waning electoral prowess, Maduro has turned toward more autocratic methods, including creating a new constitution without the cooperation of the National Assembly.

The reality is rather straightforward, and it’s a reality that’s difficult for some Venezuelans to bear – chavismo has poisoned the country.

Indeed, a brief rundown of Chavez’s major actions throughout his tenure reveal an odd brand of impulse that was built on hackneyed revolutionary ideals. Chavez’s propensity for expropriating wealth undermined the oil industry and, in the long run, left the country devoid of expertise and capital. By increasing pressure on the private sector, Chavez led a misguided effort to advance his “Bolivarian Revolution” at the expense of the economy.

The chavistas currently in power are as uncompromising and unforgiving as one would expect of ruthless autocrats. Maduro has refused to cooperate with members of the opposition at all costs, dubbing them “right-wing extremists.”

Chavismo has left the country in a state of turmoil. Constituents will continue to feel the brunt of a failed revolution that has buttressed the very same systematic corruption that it aimed to dismantle. About half a century ago, Venezuela once served as an example of a stable democracy to the rest of South America. Today, it serves as a different, far more tragic example.

Israel Aragon Bravo is a junior majoring in psychology.

Featured photo courtesy Pixabay user Public_Domain_Photography.

Israel Aragon Bravo

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

As bleak as it seems now for the University of Miami, the Canes can still take a repeat trip to Char ...

A half dozen takeaways from UM’s demoralizing 16-13 loss at Virginia on Saturday: ▪ As was the case ...

So, who’s the quarterback now? The No. 16 Miami Hurricanes came to Charlottesville on Saturday with ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...

The Canes have won five straight games and are 2-0 in the ACC, but they know they have a tough road ...