Chavismo has left Venezuela in a state of turmoil

As an aspiring revolutionary of the late 20th century, Hugo Chavez possessed two things that led him to the upper echelons of an effort to overthrow the Venezuelan government: a deep admiration for Fidel Castro and a strong inclination toward Marxism-Leninism.

The Venezuela of the early ’90s was a country plagued by poor economic conditions and social turmoil, which provided Chavez and his army of ex-Communists and guerilla fighters the traction they needed to stage a coup against President Carlos Perez’s government. The coup was unsuccessful, and Chavez was sentenced to prison.

During his incarceration, Chavez, then seen as a hero by the poor and disenchanted, gained the populist support that bolstered him to the presidency in 1999. The decisive victory led to more than a decade worth of policies that have given rise to the crisis we’re seeing in the streets of Venezuela today.

The so-called chavistas are a loyal bunch. Chavez’s name is often invoked by his loyalists in the same vein as that of Simón Bolívar, the military general who played a leading role in the independence of Venezuela in 1811. Throughout each election since 1999, Chavez’s campaign promises included helping the poor and eliminating corruption. This led to a massive spike in investments in social programs in the mid-2000s, which managed to woo allies and constituents to not only re-elect him three times but also vote to eliminate term limits to keep him in power longer.

Today, even with current president Nicolas Maduro’s low popularity ratings, chavistas in Venezuela’s judicial system have managed to keep the regime afloat by suppressing and intimidating the opposition. Armed colectivos, or government supporters, have acted as paramilitary groups to defend their idol at all costs. As a result of chavismo’s waning electoral prowess, Maduro has turned toward more autocratic methods, including creating a new constitution without the cooperation of the National Assembly.

The reality is rather straightforward, and it’s a reality that’s difficult for some Venezuelans to bear – chavismo has poisoned the country.

Indeed, a brief rundown of Chavez’s major actions throughout his tenure reveal an odd brand of impulse that was built on hackneyed revolutionary ideals. Chavez’s propensity for expropriating wealth undermined the oil industry and, in the long run, left the country devoid of expertise and capital. By increasing pressure on the private sector, Chavez led a misguided effort to advance his “Bolivarian Revolution” at the expense of the economy.

The chavistas currently in power are as uncompromising and unforgiving as one would expect of ruthless autocrats. Maduro has refused to cooperate with members of the opposition at all costs, dubbing them “right-wing extremists.”

Chavismo has left the country in a state of turmoil. Constituents will continue to feel the brunt of a failed revolution that has buttressed the very same systematic corruption that it aimed to dismantle. About half a century ago, Venezuela once served as an example of a stable democracy to the rest of South America. Today, it serves as a different, far more tragic example.

Israel Aragon Bravo is a junior majoring in psychology.

Featured photo courtesy Pixabay user Public_Domain_Photography.

Israel Aragon Bravo

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes fell in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...