Edge, Movies, Reviews

Three summer movies you might have missed

Baby Driver

This film boasts an incredible soundtrack; star-studded cast of Jon Hamm, Jamie Foxx and Kevin Spacey; and car chases that rival the ‘Fast & Furious’ series. Director Edgar Wright’s latest film “Baby Driver,” pleases almost every movie theater crowd. Centered around Baby (Ansel Elgort), a getaway driver with severe tinnitus, Baby Driver substitutes a traditional score for an eclectic soundtrack based on Baby’s iPod playlists. Wright juxtaposes music and film as every set piece is meticulously synced to the beat of songs, akin to a high budget music video. Although the plotline clearly takes a backseat, the film’s powerhouse cast, action sequences and unique style makes “Baby Driver” a must see in theaters.

Okja

Filled with absurdist comedy, heart-wrenching drama and relevant social commentary, American-Korean co-production “Okja” is one of the strangest Netflix originals. The film chronicles the journey of a 12-year-old girl (Ahn Seo-hyun) on a mission to save her best friend, a mutated “super pig,” from a biochemical conglomerate. Director Bong Joon Ho seamlessly blends genres, sending audiences into raucous laughter in one moment before tugging on their heartstrings the next. Newcomer Ahn Seo-hyun establishes herself as a driving force, not only carrying the film but completely selling the film’s absurd concept. The cast also features movie stars Tilda Swinton, Lilly Collins and Jake Gyllenhaal, who are nearly unrecognizable. They play arguably some of the most eccentric roles of their careers, however, in the movie they are absurdly perfect.

Dunkirk

Director Christopher Nolan’s “Dunkirk” is an exercise in cinematic achievement. Featuring magnificent cinematography, larger-than-life set pieces and nail-biting suspense, this immediate blockbuster hit is certainly Oscar-worthy. Dunkirk tells the story of a 1940 evacuation through three separate groups: an aircraft pilot, soldiers trapped on the beach and a civilian rescue mission. Nolan proves himself as a master filmmaker as he keeps the audience in dramatic suspense throughout the film, never allowing viewers to collect themselves. The film’s special effects are especially impressive, as real WWII-era equipment was utilized in the battle sequences in lieu of CGI. Shot largely on 70mm IMAX film, the film’s visuals warrant a big screen viewing. The death-defying fighter jet sequences are worth the price of admission, as cameras mounted onto planes provide first-person perspective of dogfights.

Featured photo courtesy Wilson Webb, TriStar Pictures, Inc. and MRC II Distribution Company L.P.

Corey Vikser

This account was generated by Camayak on 2017-08-27, please refer to http://support.camayak.com/connect-your-camayak-account-to-your-existing-wordpress-account/ if you wish to delete it.

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

They are two big bodies with experience, but new to the University of Miami. And the Miami Hurricane ...

Freshman quarterback Jarren Williams, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing most of Tuesd ...

Corey Gaynor is working hard to solidify his spot as backup center to UM senior standout Tyler Gauth ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

Conquer common back to school challenges with an expert's guide for parents and children. ...

Unique camp supports children whose parents have cancer. ...

New study shows that discriminating against workers with tattoos puts hiring managers at a competiti ...

Bill Clinton convenes the second summit of his CGI Action Network on Post-Disaster Recovery at UM. ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...

The University of Miami soccer team will travel to Boca Raton, Fla., Friday night as the team kicks ...

The University of Miami's volleyball team returns to the Knight Sports Complex on Saturday at 3 ...

University of Miami head men's tennis coach Aljosa Piric revealed Friday the team's schedu ...