New student tailgate zone to open for 2017 football season

Page 126_FSU crowd shot_HM.jpg

The student section cheers on the ‘Canes during the bi-annual football game against FSU at Hard Rock Stadium. Hallee Meltzer // Photo Editor Photo credit: Hallee Meltzer

Football seasons in the past have had a slew of students setting up their own tailgates with friends, family, organizations or on-campus Greek Life members. Although these practices have become a tradition, Student Government Senate, as well as former Dean of Students Ricardo Hall, felt the university should do more to enhance the tailgating experience while ensuring students’ safety.

Starting from the opening game on Sept. 2 against Bethune-Cookman, a designated Student Fan Zone with food and games will now be open outside the stadium, in addition to the independent student tailgates. According to the Facebook event, vendors like Shorty’s BBQ and Dunkin’ Donuts and activities like face painting and corn hole will be brought in.

“This all stemmed from the last season changes that the Hard Rock Stadium had made to the tailgating rules,” said Speaker Pro Tempore of the Senate David Mejia, who presented the bill for the Student Zone.

Halfway through last year’s season, Hard Rock Stadium implemented new changes to its tailgating policies, such as a later tailgate start time and the prohibition of loudspeakers and DJs. As a result, students started taking their pre-game celebrations off Hard Rock property.

“So our idea was to keep students going to the Hard Rock to tailgate and to keep them safe, so they can enjoy football season,” Mejia said.

The bill Mejia helped pass requested a shaded area for students to escape the sun, as well as readily available water and food.

During one of the games in the 2016 football season, Mejia said the stadium ran out of paramedics because so many students suffered from complications from being outside in the heat.

With Hurricanes Football averaging between 45,000 to 50,000 in attendance per game, the bill asked for more space in the empty parking lot adjacent to the stadium, also known as the cash lots, for organizations to have more area to host their own tailgates. Although cash lots are usually reserved for Greek life organizations, these lots would be open to more students.

As for the upcoming season, Senior Associate Dean of Students Steven Priepke is looking forward to great experiences both on and off the field.

“With a top recruiting class and building on the success of last year’s season, the excitement is palpable,” Priepke said. “It is going to be a busy and exciting football season.”

For Mejia, the new Student Zone, along with the extra cash lot space, will make the tailgates more enjoyable for students, including the incoming freshman class.

“Ultimately, the goal is for everyone to have memorable experiences at our football games,” Mejia said. “Be smart, be safe and know your limits. Besides that, have fun. There’s a reason we look forward to football season; there’s nothing else like it.”

Jorge Chabo

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...