News, Religious Life

UM Hillel hosts first Tel Aviv Night, engages new and returning students with Israeli culture

DSC04189.JPG

University of Miami's Hillel held its first Tel Aviv Night on Wednesday night. The event was aimed at recruiting new and returning students to join and learn more about the organization. Photo Credit: Kayla Haley

Music of the Tony Flow Band echoed down the halls and the rich smell of Israeli food filled the air when UM Hillel hosted its first Tel Aviv Night, an event aimed at expanding the Jewish community at the university.

Senior Seth Manilove, president of UM Hillel, said he wanted to organize the event, held Wednesday night, to give students “a full taste of Tel Aviv,” one of the largest cities in Israel. Manilove also said he wanted to expose students to the Israeli culture and allow everyone to be “immersed in the life of an Israeli for a night.”

With such a diverse student body, religion and culture become a crucial stitch in the tapestry of student life.

Rabbi Lyle Rothman, the campus rabbi and chair of the University of Miami Chaplains Association, said he wants to welcome all students and introduce them to Judaism in a new and dynamic way.

“This generation of students is searching for meaning, is searching for answers, is searching for truth and, as a rabbi, I believe it is our responsibility as Hillel to inspire minds and open eyes,” Rothman said.

Freshman Aaron Fils, a new member of Hillel, said that joining Hillel has eased the transition into college.

“To come here and have a service that you are familiar with and have people that you automatically have something in common with … it feels really good to have that sense,” said Fils, a biomedical engineering major. “It’s kind of like a rock.”

For Carson Pinker, finding a college with a Hillel on campus was at the top of her checklist when deciding which university to attend.

“I am so glad that I made this choice, and it just feels very much like home,” said Pinker, an exercise physiology major.

Rothman said creating a positive environment is also central to Hillel’s mission.

“There’s enough hatred and bigotry in this world today that we feel as Hillel it is our responsibility to champion all that is good in this world,” Rothman said.

Throughout the night, Moty’s Grill food truck provided over 100 guests with a free taste of authentic, Kosher Israeli cuisine. Stand With Us, a nonprofit organization, brought virtual reality goggles to visually transport guests to Tel Aviv.

The event was one of many that Hillel will host throughout the semester to reach out to all new and returning students.

“I hope other students take full advantage of what Hillel has to offer,” Manilove said. “Hillel has a lot for everyone, not just Jewish students.”

Kayla Haley

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

The University of Miami Black Alumni Society is hosting a number of Juneteenth events around the cou ...

The University of Miami Rosenstiel School’s Rescue a Reef program teams up with the NFL and others t ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...