Football, Sports

Malik Rosier named Hurricanes starting quarterback

Miami’s biggest question mark this fall has been answered.

Coach Mark Richt announced Tuesday morning that redshirt junior Malik Rosier will start at quarterback for the Hurricanes in their season opener against Bethune-Cookman on Sept. 2.

“Focus, discipline and accuracy,” Richt said on what separated Rosier from the rest of the pack. “He stood out above the rest, and it was apparent he was having the best camp. These young guys have to own it for a while before they can really compete at a high level at that position.”

Rosier has predominantly taken reps with the first-team offense during the drills and the Canes’ two scrimmages this fall.

In the two scrimmages, Rosier is a combined 25 of 39 for 441 yards, with five touchdowns and an interception – a 64 percent completion rate and a quarterback rating of 196.27.

“I think he did a great job this camp, and he’s gonna lead us down in the right direction,” junior running back Mark Walton said. “He’s more calm in the pocket now, and he also can run. It makes it more complicated for the [opposing]defense, which also makes things easier for me.”

The Mobile, Alabama native has appeared in 10 career games as a Hurricane, including a start against Duke in a 30-27 win back in 2015. In the matchup, Rosier was starting in place of then starting quarterback Brad Kaaya, who was recovering from a concussion. Rosier backed up Kaaya for the past two seasons.

Rosier used to be a dual-sport athlete, playing baseball for coach Jim Morris at Miami in 2015 before choosing to focus solely on football, which is his scholarship sport.

It has paid off.

The quarterback depth chart now has Rosier at No.1, redshirt sophomore Evan Shirreffs at No. 2, freshman N’Kosi Perry at No. 3 and freshman Cade Weldon at No. 4.

Rosier will lead a UM team that was ranked No. 18 in the Preseason AP Top 25 Poll on Monday morning.

This story will be updated as more information is released.

Josh White

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team impressed in its quad-meet Friday af ...

Junior averaged 11.4 points and 6.7 rebounds per game last season. ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

A duo of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes advanced through to the Round of 16 ...

Senior Dew Weber of the University of Miami golf team continued to march towards her professional go ...