Campus Life, Environment, News, Science and Technology

Where to (safely) view today’s solar eclipse

eclipse.jpg

In case you haven’t heard, there’s a solar eclipse happening today. An eclipse of this kind – with a path of totality from coast to coast, and only in the United States – hasn’t happened since 1918, nearly a century ago.

Student Activities and Student Organizations (SASO) is partnering with UAstronomy to host an eclipse viewing, complete with space-themed snacks. The Department of Physics will also be hosting a watch party.

Although Florida is not in the path of totality, meaning Floridians won’t be able to see the full eclipse, we will be able to witness a nearly 80 percent eclipse. The organizations will provide special eclipse viewing glasses (tip: never look directly at the sun for an extended period of time with the naked eye).

The eclipse will occur from 1:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. Max eclipse viewing will be at 2:58 p.m. Brian McNoldy, senior research associate at the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science created a webpage to virtually follow the eclipse.

if-you-go_onV1_edit.png

Design by Emily Dulohery

Off-campus viewings:

Frost Museum

The Phillip and Patricia Frost Museum will be hosting its own solar eclipse party at its Science Plaza. Glasses will be available for viewing the solar eclipse, and the museum will also live-stream the NASA Eclipse Megacast, featuring scientists from across the country. Events begin at 12:30 p.m. Tickets cost $28.

1101 Biscayne Blvd, Miami.

South Beach

Dig your toes in the sand or go for a swim in the ocean for a clear view of the eclipse. Before the eclipse, yoga instructor Giuliano Geronymo will lead a sunrise “sound healing treatment” using crystal bowl singing and drumming. Make sure to bring your own eclipse-viewing glasses and water. Event begins at 6 a.m. Tickets cost $15.

4600 Collins Ave, Miami Beach.

Deering Estate

For an undisturbed view of the eclipse, watch it at this environmental preserve and historic park. The Southern Cross Astronomical Society will provide professional telescopes and protective glasses. Event begins at 1 p.m. Tickets cost $12.

16701 SW 72nd Ave, Palmetto Bay.

Are you hosting your own eclipse viewing party? Tell us about it in the comments below.

Isabella Cueto

Esther Ponce De Leon

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team impressed in its quad-meet Friday af ...

Junior averaged 11.4 points and 6.7 rebounds per game last season. ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

A duo of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes advanced through to the Round of 16 ...

Senior Dew Weber of the University of Miami golf team continued to march towards her professional go ...