Administration, Campus Life, Community, News

Troubleshoot academic, administrative issues with university ombudsperson

WHO

jennifer_rau_240x320.jpg

Dr. Jennifer Rau. Photo courtesy Office of the Ombudsperson.

Jennifer Rau is the University of Miami’s assistant to the vice president and ombudsperson. She has held this title since 2014 and works with Heather Stevens, the student advocacy coordinator, and Michelle Maldonado, the academic ombudsperson. Additionally, an entire team of academic and administrative troubleshooters students in addressing student concerns.

WHAT

An ombudsperson is the university official who helps students resolve issues with academic, extracurricular and administrative processes. An ombudsperson will also help liaise between students and administrators.

“Our team is here to listen to all students and discuss their options, next steps and get them connected with the appropriate resources,” Rau said.

WHEN

If students are having an issue and not sure about whom to contact

to get it resolved, they should contact the appropriate office first. If they are unclear about whom to contact, they should consult with the ombudsperson.

“If they are not sure what that is, give us a call and we will direct them there. If they have a complex issue that they are having difficulties navigating with multiple offices, let us know, and we can help guide them through the process,” Rau said.

WHY

Sometimes the university system can be overwhelming. The ombudsperson can help students streamline the process.

Rau recalled working with an overwhelmed student who was looking for help balancing her research assistantship with family problems affecting her financial aid. With Rau’s help, the student received appropriate support from financial aid and found work alternatives. The student ultimately graduated with honors and will start medical school in the fall.

HOW

Call 305-284-4922, email ombudsperson@miami.edu or fill out the online form on ombuds.studentaffairs.miami.edu under “Submit a case.”

WHERE

Ashe Administrative Building, Room 244

Annie Cappetta

Annie Cappetta can be reached on Twitter at @acmcappetta and via email at acmcappetta@gmail.com

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...