Administration, Campus Life, Community, News

Troubleshoot academic, administrative issues with university ombudsperson

WHO

jennifer_rau_240x320.jpg

Dr. Jennifer Rau. Photo courtesy Office of the Ombudsperson.

Jennifer Rau is the University of Miami’s assistant to the vice president and ombudsperson. She has held this title since 2014 and works with Heather Stevens, the student advocacy coordinator, and Michelle Maldonado, the academic ombudsperson. Additionally, an entire team of academic and administrative troubleshooters students in addressing student concerns.

WHAT

An ombudsperson is the university official who helps students resolve issues with academic, extracurricular and administrative processes. An ombudsperson will also help liaise between students and administrators.

“Our team is here to listen to all students and discuss their options, next steps and get them connected with the appropriate resources,” Rau said.

WHEN

If students are having an issue and not sure about whom to contact

to get it resolved, they should contact the appropriate office first. If they are unclear about whom to contact, they should consult with the ombudsperson.

“If they are not sure what that is, give us a call and we will direct them there. If they have a complex issue that they are having difficulties navigating with multiple offices, let us know, and we can help guide them through the process,” Rau said.

WHY

Sometimes the university system can be overwhelming. The ombudsperson can help students streamline the process.

Rau recalled working with an overwhelmed student who was looking for help balancing her research assistantship with family problems affecting her financial aid. With Rau’s help, the student received appropriate support from financial aid and found work alternatives. The student ultimately graduated with honors and will start medical school in the fall.

HOW

Call 305-284-4922, email ombudsperson@miami.edu or fill out the online form on ombuds.studentaffairs.miami.edu under “Submit a case.”

WHERE

Ashe Administrative Building, Room 244

Annie Cappetta

Annie Cappetta can be reached on Twitter at @acmcappetta and via email at acmcappetta@gmail.com

It appears that at least one LSU receiver won’t be available at the University of Miami football ope ...

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

They are two big bodies with experience, but new to the University of Miami. And the Miami Hurricane ...

Freshman quarterback Jarren Williams, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing most of Tuesd ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...