Community, Edge

How to live in the 305 and keep your bank balance above $3.05

Miami is not cheap. It has one of the highest costs of living in the nation, and if you’ve never lived in the 305, you may not have a realistic concept of costs.

But by planning and budgeting wisely, UM students can spend less and save more on everyday expenses, such as groceries and transportation, and not-so-everyday “fun stuff” expenses, including day trips to Miami Beach, brunch in Wynwood and downtown museum outings.

New students will find that there are many free events and discounted activities available to them, but there are still lots of things such as off-campus meals and coffee runs that won’t be priced to appeal to students.

A seemingly innocent string of off-campus food trips can run anywhere from $15 to $45 per week, depending on how frequently you eat out, where you’re eating and what you’re ordering.

Be mindful that it does add up and opt for dorm room coffee and snacks a couple times a week if you’re trying to manage expenses.

If you visit a museum once a month (and not on Free Second Saturday at the Pérez Art Museum Miami), it will cost you around $10 to $25.

Miami is home to a bunch of weekend-worthy exhibits at the HistoryMiami Museum, the recently opened Phillip and Patricia Frost Science Museum and even the World Erotic Art Museum on South Beach. If you have an interest, you can likely find it in Miami.

Concerts, local shows and headliner tours abound in Miami. A cover charge could be as cheap as $5, while a nosebleed seat at the AmericanAirlines Arena in downtown Miami could start at $65, not including taxes and fees. Save your dollars for your favorite artists because chances are they’ll stop by Miami at some point.

There’s also a thriving performing arts community in South Florida, movie theaters screening indie films and documentaries, outdoor activities galore and near-constant open mics and karaoke nights.

Check out cultureshockmiami.com for $5 tickets to shows and museums in Miami-Dade County. It never hurts to flash your UM Cane Card in case there’s a student discount.

Featured photo shows Vizcaya Museum and Gardens, $10 with student ID.

Alexa Koch

University of Miami tailback/fullback Trayone Gray, a popular fifth-year senior out of Miami Carol C ...

When Mother’s Day came around back in May, Keontra Smith knew it was time to unveil his college comm ...

University of Miami true freshman quarterback Jarren Williams was not at practice on Tuesday morning ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday: ▪ The Hurricanes, who began the offseason with five highly sk ...

There’s no doubt who the starting quarterback is at the University of Miami. As for those other thre ...

Conquer common back to school challenges with an expert's guide for parents and children. ...

Unique camp supports children whose parents have cancer. ...

New study shows that discriminating against workers with tattoos puts hiring managers at a competiti ...

Bill Clinton convenes the second summit of his CGI Action Network on Post-Disaster Recovery at UM. ...

A UM researcher has determined that children exposed to traumatic events exhibit pains that if left ...

Head coach Mark Richt, all 10 assistant coaches and more than 50 players met with the media at the N ...

The Miami Hurricanes were under the lights at Hard Rock Stadium Saturday, closing out the opening we ...

The University of Miami volleyball program reported for training on Tuesday, officially beginning pr ...

Several members of Miami's highly-rated recruiting class have entered fall camp hungry to prove ...

Two University of Miami Track and Field athletes represented their respective countries at the Europ ...