Campus Life, Cover, News, Student Organization

CaneStage hosts talent show for freshman class performers

Singers, guitarists and other musical performances kicked off night four of Orientation Week for members of the Class of 2021 as new ‘Canes showcased their talents during the CaneStage New Student Talent Show at the Rathskeller Thursday night.

The annual talent show, hosted by the CaneStage Theatre Company, is one of the most popular events during Orientation Week. The event attracts hundreds of students each year. This year, there were over 300 in attendance.

Beliz Eryilmaz, Chair of CaneStage, said interest and attendance have increased each year. However, she said due to the spike in sign ups to perform this year, some acts were turned away.

“I’m actually really sad because we had a dance act and a comedy act signed up but we didn’t get to them in time,” Eryilmaz said.

Crowd.jpg

Over 300 people attended Canestage’s New Student Talent Show at the Rathskeller Thursday night to show support for the incoming freshman class. Tommy Fletcher//Multimedia Producer

For Dylan Monti, a Music Business and Entertainment Industries major who has released music on Spotify and iTunes, performing at the talent show was something he decided to do spontaneously after seeing only four people on the signed up when the event began.

“They needed people and I just figured I’d do it,” Monti said.

However, as the event went on, more and more people began to show up.

“There was a lot more people than I thought there was going to be,” he said.

Monti, who performed his original song “Olive Green Eyes,” said he thinks the event helped new students connect and find out new things about each other.

“It’s great because it’s a lot of people getting to showcase talents that their peers wouldn’t have otherwise seen, and then that’s a conversation starter for down the road,” Monti said.

Band.jpg

Some of the most popular acts throughout the night included bands composed of new students who met during Orientation Week. Tommy Fletcher//Multimedia Producer

Jillian Hobaica, a freshman in the Frost School of Music from Mansfield, Mass., performed her original song “Trouble.” She said she shared similar sentiments and felt the event helped to bring the Class of 2021 together.

“I got to meet a bunch of people from different majors, and I even met people in the audience,” Hobaica said. “Music can unite everyone in different ways, and I think the fact that this was open to everyone and not just Frost students was really important…it really opened my eyes to all the variety of talent here.”

Tommy Fletcher

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...