Letters to the Editor, Opinion

Letter to the Editor: The future of Cuban studies at the University of Miami

Adrian Nuñez

The University of Miami was chartered in 1925 as a Pan American university. In the past 92 years, the University has become a globally recognized institution of research and academia. Growing with the city around us, the University of Miami is currently ranked 1st in Florida and 44th in the nation.

Our prestige and accolades would not be possible, however, without the strongly rooted foundation of our Cuban and Cuban-American community that makes up the City of Miami. Throughout the years, our University has shared a unique cultural perspective with our student body that elevates our community to be a globally aware and hemispheric university.

As we move toward the University of Miami’s centennial, we must consider the rich tradition that our student organizations have contributed. One of our most popular student organizations, Federación de Estudiantes Cubanos (FEC), is celebrating their 50th anniversary this year. With an extensive alumni network and their annual “Week of Cuban Culture,” FEC has been an integral part of the expanding breadth of customs and culture our student body experiences.

We are the University of Miami. We reside in a city filled with differing identities, including race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, religion, and so much more. We value and revel in our differences. Cuban and Cuban-Americans make up a significant part of Miami. As a Cuban-American student myself, I am proud to attend an institution that values the culture of its greater community and is constantly seeking ways to create opportunities that will tell the story of the Cuban people.

The story of the University of Miami is forever intertwined with our desire to educate, gain knowledge, and to serve. As a student, I greatly value the diversity in the educational experience that I already receive hereI look to the continued expansion of unprecedented academic and co-curricular opportunities for future ’Canes.

It’s Great to be a Miami Hurricane,

Adrian Nuñez 
President, University of Miami Student Government

Adrian Nuñez

University of Miami religious studies professor Catherine Newell weighs in on some of the big questi ...

NASA wants to return humans to the moon by 2024. A University of Miami engineering graduate is part ...

University of Miami student Kayla Crews has always been fascinated with Japan and its culture. Parti ...

School of Communication senior Leah Brown attended Cannes Lions Festival, one of the largest annual ...

A University of Miami engineering faculty member discusses how California’s infrastructure fared dur ...

Two Miami Hurricanes were among those players selected to the preseason watch list for the 25th annu ...

ESPN Events announced Thursday afternoon the bracket for the 2019 Charleston Classic, set to take pl ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday its 2018-19 academic honor roll and 177 University o ...

The ACC Network is set to launch August 22. If your television provider hasn't yet decided to c ...

Claudia De Antonio, Renate Grimstad and Kristyna Frydlova were each selected as WGCA All-American Sc ...