Administration, News

María de Lourdes Dieck-Assad named VP for Hemispheric and Global Affairs

María de Lourdes Dieck-Assad began her tenure on Tuesday as the University of Miami’s vice president for Hemispheric and Global Affairs. She will oversee the Hemispheric Consortium, one of the university’s goals leading up the school’s centennial in 2025, and lead UM in forming global academic and research partnerships.

I am thrilled at the opportunity to join the University of Miami community and represent the institution on a hemispheric and global scale,” Dieck-Assad said. “I look forward to serving the University, strengthening relationships and establishing new ones in this role.

Dieck-Assad, an economist, will “engage with academic institutions, businesses, nongovernmental organizations and governments where potential synergies exist,” UM President Julio Frenk wrote in a letter he sent out on Tuesday.

Dieck-Assad has served as dean emeritus and distinguished professor of economics in the Graduate School of Business Administration at Mexico’s Monterrey Institute of Technology and Higher Education (ITESM). She also served as Mexico’s ambassador to Belgium and Luxembourg and chief of the Mexican Mission to the European Union.

“I cannot think of anyone better qualified to take on this strategic task,” Frenk said in making his announcement to the University community. “Dr. Dieck-Assad brings with her a wealth of experience that will guide our engagement and collaboration efforts throughout the Americas and the globe.”

Dieck-Assad received her Bachelor of Arts degree from ITESM and her Master of Arts degree – both in economics – from Vanderbilt University, where she studied on a Fulbright Scholarship. She earned her Ph.D. in economics from University of Texas at Austin.

Isabella Cueto

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...